A Sprinkle of Sass - Louise Pentland part 10

Re: A Sprinkle of Sass - Louise Pentland part 10

Post by Guest »

ifucsam wrote:
Doughnutdemon12 wrote:I remember Devon posting a photo on Instagram of Darcy and herslef and saying that Louise took her to the hairdressers and now they are matching. But of course it could be a lie? Who knows but I just remember how Devon went on about them being twins and Louise had allowed it. I thought it was odd at the time.

I agree Devon wishes she was a hippy! She's so desperate to be seen as something.
You're right, I guess I just assumed she was that horrid she'd get Matt to let her take her and get the fringe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't have put it pass Devon to have done it if I hadn't seen the post. She told people about Louise's relationship before she did. If Louise hadn't have taken Darcy to the hairdressers I bet it wouldn't have taken long for Devon to have done it. She's done a lot of overstepping the line and Matt never pulls her on it! It's so unfair that Louise gets the blame with things like Darcys privacy when Devon is just as bad and Matt ignores it!

I still get the feeling Matts gay or Bi. I do think he is using Devon and will just end up hurting her. Louise had a very lucky escape.

LaurieLaurie
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by LaurieLaurie »

Her book arrived today, hurrah for Amazon, her writing doesn't flow very well imo, it's a bit of a mouthful.

Brokendreams
Talker
Talker

Post by Brokendreams »

polarbearninja wrote:
Brokendreams wrote:
polarbearninja wrote:Carrie Fletcher put up a video with Louise today and asked Louise to describe the book.. and what she said made me think that maybe she has drawn her experience with Drew as a big inspiration for this book. I would not be surprised if there are parallels in the book of what happened with Drew. He basically whisked her off her feet and then broke her heart so she might have written some stuff that really happened with him.

A lot of people already have the book now so I guess we will know very soon what happens.
Who is Drew? (I'm sorry I haven't really been following her that close since a few months)
Drew was someone Louise had a thing with nearly 2 years ago now. He was american and ran some kinda media company/event?

He would do cliched romantic stuff like send her flowers and some kind of romantic gesture on top of the empire state building. She was besotted with him at the time and even talked about it in her live show. He knew the YouTube industry very well and he seemed to have a glamourous life so that attracted her.

The problem was that he had a girlfriend the entire time he was wooing Louise. I don't know how much she knew but I'd imagine he promised to leave the girlfriend and never did. Louise was definitely very upset about it when she ended it with him. I think he was the first person she fell for after Matt.
Ah thanks for clearing that up! I never knew. :)
Sorry if my grammar and spelling sucks, I'm doing my best! :)

LaurieLaurie
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by LaurieLaurie »

Is anyone else reading her book? I'm struggling to get into it, the first five chapters have nothing to them and so far I'm not liking Robin at all.

gurugossiper2
Informer
Informer

Post by gurugossiper2 »

I finished the book, and as someone said above its a real mouthful and the writing doesn't flow so great but then again it's not terrible.

I liked that it had some female empowerment aspects to it.

I must say though its VERY obvious who she is basing these characters on.. like 100% Storie is Devon and Simon is Matt, and with that regard I feel bad for them that they are being portrayed in a book that way :? Like she can just say whatever she likes about these characters and they can't defend themselves if that makes sense.

Also Aunt Kath = Aunt Judith, and Lyla = Darcy obviously. I just really hope those people are okay with how they were portrayed in the novel. Its like when they say "names have been changed to protect the innocent" and literally it is just a name change. I feel like she could have done a better job to draw on these experiences but more subtly develop some more well rounded characters.

Also in regards to what someone said above about the ex boyfriend..
It turns out in the end this guy was seeing someone else the whole time too, so I guess it is modeled off that guy although I don't know the full story of that one
My other complaint about the book is it jumps around back and forth a bit too much, like you go to the next chapter and its suddenly a few weeks later or just a completely different plot line. The character was also really mopey hahaha... sorry but MUCH like Louise herself she was a mopey sad sack.

Also I was annoyed by the amount of times she referred to skinny jeans. I didn't notice very many spelling errors or anything but potentially these were edited before the kindle versions were released?

LaurieLaurie
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by LaurieLaurie »

So far I've noticed incorrect names, grammar problems, unnecessary punctuation, she has used the wrong tense a couple of times, lots of very long sentences. It's all things that should have been edited. I'm not sure how her editor or the authors printed on the back of the book could have missed them.

It's also very obvious who the characters are based on although it does state that it is a work of fiction and any resemblance is purely coincidental.

nixworld68
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by nixworld68 »

LaurieLaurie wrote:So far I've noticed incorrect names, grammar problems, unnecessary punctuation, she has used the wrong tense a couple of times, lots of very long sentences. It's all things that should have been edited. I'm not sure how her editor or the authors printed on the back of the book could have missed them.

It's also very obvious who the characters are based on although it does state that it is a work of fiction and any resemblance is purely coincidental.
I can only suppose it's how quickly they brought the book out. In her Q and A she mentioned she had five months to write it, from scratch, and that's quick (indicating how cynical and forced the whole thing was!). But it's still not great how the editing team missed things. Maybe they were tired from actually helping her writing the thing! ;)

book_queen
Talker
Talker

Post by book_queen »

to be honest, although i agree with a lot of what is said on this thread, i have noticed a large double standard.

if matt and devon had decided to get darcy's hair cut, there would be outrage (as evidenced above when it was suggested that was what happened), but when louise chooses to get darcy's hair cut, that's absolutely fine. both matt and louise have equal decision making rights in terms of darcy, which i think people on this thread often forget. just because matt does something with darcy that louise does not particularly like, does not mean matt has no right to do so, just as matt may not have wanted darcy to get a fringe, but she did.

just saying, there is absolutely no evidence that matt has done anything malicious towards either louise or darcy, tbh louise's vague statements seem simply like her emotions have no where to go, and therefore each parent has every right to do what they wish during their time with their child

EvieGrace
Learner
Learner

Post by EvieGrace »

LaurieLaurie wrote:So far I've noticed incorrect names, grammar problems, unnecessary punctuation, she has used the wrong tense a couple of times, lots of very long sentences. It's all things that should have been edited. I'm not sure how her editor or the authors printed on the back of the book could have missed them.

Sorry what do you mean by incorrect names? Just curious Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuckedoff
Informer
Informer

Post by fuckedoff »

LaurieLaurie wrote:Her book arrived today, hurrah for Amazon, her writing doesn't flow very well imo, it's a bit of a mouthful.
That's the best way of putting it, I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I don't intend to read her book based on her writing on her blog. I don't think she's a bad writer, but she writes in a very convoluted fashion (something in brackets with an exclamation mark!) followed by lots of description and things, in, threes.

The actual content is quite good usually, it's just very lengthy where it needn't be. I won't be bothering with the book.

It does frustrate me that even after alllll that hype, there are still errors in it.

rai1234
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by rai1234 »

Some of the 3 or below star reviews on amazon:
I was so excited to read this book after watching Louise on Youtube for years. This book is about a single mum called Robin Wilde, and her 6 year old daughter Lyla. Robin is fed up of being single and lonely, and wants to not only find love but make life better for both her and Lyla. It's light hearted and humorous in parts.
Where I lost interest is the way the book reads. It's very blog post, very informal and seems like you're reading a diary or blog, rather than a novel. There's grammatical errors, poorly structured sentences and overall feels very unfinished.
I almost felt like I was reading Louise's autobiography. There's lots of similarities and I found it very hard to distance myself from Louise and Robin, and Darcey and Lyla.

The story was nice, albeit predictable. It was an easy read, I just expected a little more. Would I be so harsh if it wasn't a Youtuber? I'm not sure.
It wasn't horrendous, but I would recommend other books over it if asked.
I really don't know where to start. I'm a fan of the author's YouTube content, but maybe that will change - a few times she mentioned in her videos that the main protagonist of this novel is amazing and we'd all love her but she's an awful character. She tears other women down, she refers to a six year old child as a little cow, and absolutely everything is about looks, even when discussing why she finds her own daughter so perfect. That the author bills herself as a feminist is laughable.

The writing is so clumsy. Cliché sentence structures that my Year 3 class wouldn't use anymore, constant misuse of parentheses, words not employed correctly, I could go on. There is nothing elegant about her turn of phrase, no flair, no subtlety. This poor writing from a university graduate is really a shame.

I worry that the author's following chiefly comprises young teenage girls, and I urge them to look for stronger role models, both in terms of writing prowess and female empowerment. Sadly, they won't find either in this book.
I expected a lot more from this book. Having been a bookworm all my life and gaining a first class honours degree in Englisj Literature, reading is my most favourite hobby. I am a young mum of two and I am also a fan of Louise and her YouTube content. I find her engaging, relatable and funny, but sadly her vibrant personality did not translate at all into her writing style. The premise of the story had lots of promise, the daily saga of the school run, juggling childcare with work, infertility and post natal depression... These subjects were touched on so briefly and I wish Louise had spent a little more time exploring these and a little less on the 'man hunt' which overwhelmed the story entirely. Despite being a single parent Robin's life seems far too easy, and as a mum myself I found it difficult to relate; she has a team of people around her willing to look after her perfectly behaved daughter for weeks on end, a boss who is happy for her to come and go as she pleases, where's the reality in that? It's certainly not my reality with my 9-5 job, holiday clubs and sleepless nights. It was difficult too not to draw parallels between Louise and Robin and their daughters and Aunties. Perhaps I am being a little critical, but the whole story was too fluffy, predictable and twee for me to really engage with.
Was this book not edited? Or proof read? The grammar and mistakes throughout this book are very distracting, it reads with no flow and feels very clunky. So far there is little substance or plot and I have not warmed to the characters, Robin in particular is very unlikeable. It also seems like one big pity party. I'm not sure I want to read to the end which is very disappointing.
As I've followed Louise on YouTube and twitter for many years and watched her grow as a young woman and young mum I wanted so desperately to love her first venture into writing fiction, she's smart, witty, seems to know how to string a sentence together, unlike most creators on YouTube these days! so all the signs were there, she was going to produce a novel I would enjoy reading a break out of the "YouTube author" category, wasn't she? And then, I read the book. Safe to say I had expected much, much more than was delivered. I found I struggled to keep interest in the story line and had no connection or real feelings for the characters in the book, I'm glad I gave it a shot but in my opinion, her talents lie behind a vlog camera, not behind a laptop writing fiction. Won't be waiting for a follow up novel anytime soon.

nixworld68
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by nixworld68 »

Ouch.

Bertiebee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Bertiebee »

I think the review about how it's so unrelatable, Robyn's ( louise') life in the book to that of a 'real' a single mum who faces daily struggles is spot on! That's the trouble really, Louise does have a very nice easy life! She is not your average single mum all and it's bloody insulting to think she is! No other single mum I knew when my daughter was Darcys age had all the help/financial means that Louise has. Also the review about Robyn searching for love, again very louise! There is nothing wrong in wanting live but I do think Louise was obsessed in meeting someone. I won't be buying it, I'd rather keep my money tbh and as others have said, I'm sure I would struggle trying to imagine anyone other that Louise being the main character.

nixworld68
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by nixworld68 »

Oh. Guys. Go and watch Louise's latest insta story. She is asking people who liked the book to go and leave positive reviews on Amazon, as she has read the negative ones. People have written "really unpleasant things" and she thinks that it is only from people who don't like her and have deliberately written negative reviews, rather than constructive criticism which she says she welcomes. :?
Hmmm. If people really are writing shit because they hate her, that's one thing- but has she not thought that maybe people just don't like her book?

nixworld68
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by nixworld68 »

And it looks like lots of people have gone and done just that this morning- there are lots of positive ones on there today with the great insight of

"Some of these reviews are an absolute joke and obviously written by trolls who are jealous of the authors online success, they do not represent this book honestly at all.. Wilde Like Me is lovely enjoyable read. I absolutely love the character and really hope the next instalment isn't too far away!
On a side note, I hope the author can ignore the silly comments and unfair reviews, whilst that may be difficult it is much more beneficial for her to concentrate on the positive as I truly believe she has a great writing career ahead of her, congratulations on a brilliant first novel x"

techcray
Learner
Learner

Post by techcray »

Annoying that she has yet to upload her weekly vlog? She tweeted on Sunday that it would be uploaded on Monday? It's now Tuesday and she has said nothing since. I just find it annoying because that is her job, I suppose I'm just jealous bc I bust my ass working 43 hours on average a week and I cant just decide that I don't want to work on a certain day.

LaurieLaurie
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by LaurieLaurie »

I think her asking for Amazon reviews is going to give an incorrect rating, its obvious that her fans are going to rave about the book, whether they have actually read it or not. It's unfair for them to argue and call troll to the honest reviews, most say that they wanted to enjoy the book and had hopes for it to be a good book.

I actually feel like Louise only wrote the first five chapters or so, it seems to improve in terms of writing but the story doesn't pick up.

Sunnyboosh
Informer
Informer

Post by Sunnyboosh »

nixworld68 wrote:Oh. Guys. Go and watch Louise's latest insta story. She is asking people who liked the book to go and leave positive reviews on Amazon, as she has read the negative ones. People have written "really unpleasant things" and she thinks that it is only from people who don't like her and have deliberately written negative reviews, rather than constructive criticism which she says she welcomes. :?
Hmmm. If people really are writing shit because they hate her, that's one thing- but has she not thought that maybe people just don't like her book?
Come on Louise, don't be a Devon about it! Rise above!

thisisyuchan
Talker
Talker

Post by thisisyuchan »

She is making a right dog's dinner of this positive review situation right now, she is deleting bad tweets. Really does she not get that people might leave bad reviews. It happens like all the time, like get over it. Really a big drama queen

Post by Guest »

nixworld68 wrote:Oh. Guys. Go and watch Louise's latest insta story. She is asking people who liked the book to go and leave positive reviews on Amazon, as she has read the negative ones. People have written "really unpleasant things" and she thinks that it is only from people who don't like her and have deliberately written negative reviews, rather than constructive criticism which she says she welcomes. :?
But ... then she is asking people to deliberately write positive reviews, which is just as fake? She doesn't want honest opinions, but rather she wants to tell people to write fake opinions on it just so she can continue this life as a writer & get to number 1. I'm sorry, but there are people out there who would kill for a book publishing deal, and she is trying to manipulate the process just so she can continue the gravy train.

She says that her publishers have told her that she wouldn't be in this position if her book was terrible, and that she wouldn't have got the deal if it was bad, (although she is slightly self aware, which is good) but then she pulls stuff like this? If she can't see the double standard, and if she can't see how she is using her followers to help get better reviews, which no other writer would ever do, then she really is clueless.

Return to “Louise Pentland”