Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: BeautyCrush / Samantha Maria - Part 11

Post by rhi14 »

Just to carry on current discussion:
rhi14 wrote:
jonsnowsbabymama wrote:Sorry to derail the croissant and steak talk (which, btw, I say fil-ay-meen-yon' as an American, isn't that the proper way to say it?) for something that gets mentioned all the time, but what even is her weave?

I've never gotten mine professionally done (I'm partial to clip-ins) but can someone explain what her hairdresser is doing? Is it a full sew-in? It looks like the top half is blonde extensions and the bottom is neglected new growth. :o Like, what's happening?

Yeah, that's the right way to say it haha.

And while it's a bit of a tired discussion, as a white female (sadly, also currently single but not in that way fml) I honestly have little to no idea about how to manage her hair - tbh all I know is how to deal with my hair, couldn't do anyone else's to save my life unless it just involved straightening. I find it really interesting, as obviously there is a lot of diversity in GG users, to see the opinions of people who DO know how to manage it. I also know that it's a culture thing, and I see being involved and embracing that culture when you're a part of it to be a very good thing. Which is also why it makes me a bit sad to see her refusing to recognise it/people recognising how damaged her hair is. I used to really love her hair when it was curly and had a lot more volume, I also think going blonder washes her out and she looks much healthier with either a caramel tone or darker.

It also makes me wonder what demographic she'd like to target in her newer content, I think if she embraced her natural hair she'd probably gain more viewers and her older subscribers would love to see her rising up to the challenge. I doubt she'd lose any viewers if she did that, but it's interesting to see how (for lack of a better way of stating it, as I'm not sure I 100% agree) with Jason getting her to appear 'more white' and neglecting her hair like this, she is losing viewers.

I'd like to know where she thinks her channel is going and what direction she wants to head in.
seriouslywrong wrote:
jonsnowsbabymama wrote:
rhi14 wrote: as a white female (sadly, also currently single but not in that way fml)
LOL :rofl:
rhi14 wrote:It also makes me wonder what demographic she'd like to target in her newer content, I think if she embraced her natural hair she'd probably gain more viewers and her older subscribers would love to see her rising up to the challenge. I doubt she'd lose any viewers if she did that, but it's interesting to see how (for lack of a better way of stating it, as I'm not sure I 100% agree) with Jason getting her to appear 'more white' and neglecting her hair like this, she is losing viewers.

I'd like to know where she thinks her channel is going and what direction she wants to head in.

That's actually really interesting to think about. I subscribed to Sammi because I'm bi-racial and most of the beauty gurus on YT are white (or cater to a majority white audience). There are black beauty-gurus but I can't exactly relate to them either. Sam was one of those, "in the middle" channels like SunKissAlba that actually helped me until Sam decided to go super blonde and stop going into the sun. lol. I did read in one of the older subs that Jason referred to her as the n-word and who knows how that could have affected her, especially if she already saw being black as something negative. :(

Anyway, I definitely think she'd gain a bigger following if she'd realize she was half black and embraced it. She just seems very off in terms of knowing herself, lately.

I sub to her for the exact same reason! I cant relate to white ytrs (in beauty and hair wise) and i cant relate to black youtubers. When i find Sammi, i though she might help more. I started watching when she had that curly beautiful hair but now is such a mess. She is used to be more tan too, now she even wears lighter foundation, if I were younger I would take that as model the I should not embrace my curly hair and my "coffee like" skin.

Evil_robot
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Evil_robot »

thanks for the new thread!

Brigante
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Brigante »

I daren't watch her new vid, 'Feminism, Sexism and Objectification' without a drink, or two, inside me. :roll:

yasmine143
Learner
Learner

Post by yasmine143 »

i really think jason is dragging her down mental health wise specially and all they do is drink coffee all day and on their laptops.. also her weave issues have been there for years now she really needs to find a new hair stylist :roll:

Ash904
Informer
Informer

BeautyCrush / Samantha Maria - Part 11

Post by Ash904 »

ImageImage

So she bought an item from Gucci. I hope it's not that awful looking thing she snapped. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised since she did buy that tacky white bag with the cartoonish detail.

jonsnowsbabymama
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by jonsnowsbabymama »

Brigante wrote:I daren't watch her new vid, 'Feminism, Sexism and Objectification' without a drink, or two, inside me. :roll:
It just popped up in my sub box. I don't know if I should even bother... I wonder if she'll make decent points for once or if she'll just repeat general statements/facts about the topic. :roll:

wooowza
Talker
Talker

Post by wooowza »

Brigante wrote:I daren't watch her new vid, 'Feminism, Sexism and Objectification' without a drink, or two, inside me. :roll:
UGH! Is the first thing to come to mind. I don't want to pass too much judgement considering I haven't watched the video. Though, coming from a woman who can't string together a sentence together without giggling when talking about lipstick, I doubt she will say anything thought provoking. (Slightly off topic: my favorite yt channel dedicated to feminism is marinashutup if anyone is interested you should check her out)

Those Gucci bags are hideous! I hope she didn't buy one of those. If she did it just proves that money can't buy taste.

rhi14
Debater
Debater

Post by rhi14 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Ok, so I have pros and cons with this video. But I do I think it's possibly the most worthwhile video she's made recently within her shambles of a channel.

Good points:
- Awareness on feminism/sexism and that topic in general is usually always a good thing.
- I think pulling focus on every day situations, rather than just equal pay etc, is good.
- Since Sammi has a youngish demographic it's good that she'll maybe help some of them to consider how they're being obectified and not be ok with it.

And then the bad...
- Unfortunately, it's a fairly uneducated account of the topic and most of it is fairly generalised - kind of a blanket issue video.
- To be honest, I feel like Sammi's biggest issue is her being wolf-whistled and then the rest of it was just general statements. And actually she could've expanded on the ignorance of the topic (eg her mum not thinking of herself as a feminist).
- Sammi does herself no favours in the rest of her content, since her life comes across as being centred around Jason. He was even the one who got her to do the video in the first place.
- She tends to focus on women, which I get cause she's a cis woman, but men are mentioned a little bit as an afterthought and she talks about equal rights for 'men and women', calling it Girl Talk etc. I would just rather she'd made it a little bit more gender neutral whilst focusing on her experiences as a woman, as it's equal rights for everybody and respect is gender neutral.
- There's nothing 'wrong' per se with her opinions, and actually she comes across quite well in this video, but I would've much preferred her to prepare her answers more thoroughly beforehand and to actually think about the content she's just put out there spur of the moment. She has very young, impressionable viewers and it just feels a bit like someone giving a science lesson when they're not a science teacher.
- I feel like she could've added in objectification through her youtube channel a little more, rather than going on about feeling empowered through N&K, which she runs with her fiance, again all about Jason. (Vogue's series with Alexa Chung actually made a better mention of the lack equality in the fashion industry if you wanted to check it out)

It was just very vague. I don't want to come across as if I'm against her making this video, because I'm not. But it's a bit like Estee, she's sort of jumping on the feminism bandwagon without doing any real research on forming her own, individual opinions. I get the whole female oppression in terms of catcalling and men respecting the man you're with over you - but what about women not feeling safe on their own? How, a lot of the time, sexual harrassment and assault are a question of when, not if? Abuse in general, really. (I think this would have carried some weight with her as well, considering her history). Or, for example, I have a friend whose appearance is fairly androgynous, but I would say it's fairly obvious she's female (so what if she defined herself as that or not, imo it doesn't matter anyway) and she's actually quite often intimidated to use public toilets for fear of persecution or people questioning why she's in the ladies. Eh, this is a topic you can talk for hours and hours about. I'm not going to go on and on.

My point, however, is that I just wish Sammi had done a lot more preparation for this video. And maybe made it into a 20 minute one, rather than giggling through 10 minutes and asking what her viewers have experienced through the end of the video.

colddust-girl
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by colddust-girl »

She doesn't say anything particularly controversial in the feminism video, but as usual Sam isn't very articulate so it's a bit sloppy and difficult to follow

BrideOfFrankenstein
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by BrideOfFrankenstein »

wooowza wrote:
UGH! Is the first thing to come to mind. I don't want to pass too much judgement considering I haven't watched the video. Though, coming from a woman who can't string together a sentence together without giggling when talking about lipstick, I doubt she will say anything thought provoking. (Slightly off topic: my favorite yt channel dedicated to feminism is marinashutup if anyone is interested you should check her out)

Those Gucci bags are hideous! I hope she didn't buy one of those. If she did it just proves that money can't buy taste.
I just watched the video, and already I can't remember a word she said. To me it was just a useless ramble that went on and on without interesting points. I wasn't even five minutes in when my mind started wandering and I started doing something else. She just sounds like a (not very bright) 14-year-old trying to sort of half-assed explain feminism and sexism for a school assignment. I know that might sound a bit harsh but if you watch the video you'll see what I mean. ;)

itslikethat
Stalker
Stalker

Post by itslikethat »

This is not to knock her for doing this video; I think it was pretty good as an introduction to feminism in some ways.

But I would have loved to see her talk about feminism in a "deeper way". She is a biracial woman and it would be interesting to hear her talk about how that affects her womanhood, or maybe it doesn't! Her video was just very surface level feminism, and I would not expect her to have a massive dissertation on the complexities and controversies that often happen when it comes to feminism, but she has such a massive audience, I think it would have been worth her while to have said a bit more.

I hope this makes sense lol this is my first post so I hope I articulated this well

Thestandardpoodle
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Thestandardpoodle »

Hi! I'll spare you the obligatory "longtime lurker/first time commenter"(on this thread anyway) spiel.
As a Canadian woman who today felt immensely dissatisfied/let down by the Canadian justice system regarding the Jian Ghomeshi trial...I wish she would have mentioned rape culture!
She's a woman of colour, what about intersectionality? How about internalized misogyny...
I agree with an earlier comment that said she was like a not-bright 14 year old explaining feminism. She's in her late 20s. Why is she so inarticulate?

Brigante
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Brigante »

'I'm so hot that all the menz want a piece of me.'

That was my take away from her well intentioned spiel, the rest of it was just rehashed phrases from Caitlin Moran and various Pool interviews. Her Mother sounds like a way more interesting person than her, although that's not saying much.

luvey
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by luvey »

is "feminism" talks the new trend on YT?

laushea
Learner
Learner

Post by laushea »

I can't stand that she has this sort of fame and recognition that gives her the chance to really make points about important topics, and also the chance to possibly make improvements to her hair and skin yet.... she doesn't do anything real about any of these things, and is almost wasting her space as this YouTube figure, when there are TONS of other people who would be grateful to take her position and actually properly speak out on issues and fix their....appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-P-
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by -P- »

x

cherrysunset
Debater
Debater

Post by cherrysunset »

Oh well I just wasted a lot of time watching her video.
It was very weak and it should've been more specific yet people commented things like "thank you soo much for this video". Like what are you thanking for? It's very generalized information that you can Google yourself.

Sent via Tapatalk.
Strive for progress, not perfection.
I apologize for any spelling mistakes. English isn't my native language.

peanutella
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by peanutella »

:HK:
Non.

queenxyz
Learner
Learner

Post by queenxyz »

Sometimes I wonder if her subbies even watch her videos before commenting. Did they really thing that feminism video was good? I took away nothing from the video. Like others have said, good on her for bringing up the topic but as ever, Sammi was so vague. She can never put forward a strong opinion or point of view on anything without giggling about it.

Return to “BeautyCrush”