CouldntMakeUpAName
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: LUSH is overrated?

Post by CouldntMakeUpAName »

fruitietutie wrote:
CouldntMakeUpAName wrote: The products are not made the exact same. Lush USA products are all made in Canada, LUSH UK products are all made in the UK. So the original poster was 100% correct in what she said.
Wow, square peg and round hole but I congratulate you on trying. Doesn't matter if the products are made different ways or however many countries the shop operates in, Lush has it's HQ in England, was founded in England and is still an English company. As for the products being made in Canada, does that mean that Abercrombie and Fitch is an Indonesian company since most of their manufacturing is done there? Is Apple Chinese since that's where they make the goods?
You completely have attempted to turn around what I said. More power to you. Keep with the insults though. I enjoy when people resort to being rude to over compensate ;)

The original poster said "they like to support Canadian companies", from this I took, giving their money to Canada, which is exactly what would happen. The revenue from LUSH USA would help Canada. I also said they are ALL under the same umbrella large company of Lush, which as you mentioned is in UK. Naw Sherlock. Good job. :tu:

Many companies own other companies or have multiple subsidiaries within them. Choose to misinterpret what I said as much as you want. It is still correct. Me personally, I buy from the UK site which would directly benefit and support the UK, that money is not going to America to stimulate the economy there which is what I meant by separate.

Carry on with your hole and peg or whatever you are going on about :rofl: And feel free to twist my words some more just because you didn't understand. Have at it. <3

Eleabear57
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Eleabear57 »

fruitietutie wrote:
Eleabear57 wrote:
Maybe the poster meant it was good because it created jobs in Canada instead of the US if all the products are made there? Not sure though
Or they just made a mistake/got confused and that's okay...
That's possible too, I just like giving the benefit of the doubt :)

Post by Guest »

CouldntMakeUpAName wrote:
fruitietutie wrote: Wow, square peg and round hole but I congratulate you on trying. Doesn't matter if the products are made different ways or however many countries the shop operates in, Lush has it's HQ in England, was founded in England and is still an English company. As for the products being made in Canada, does that mean that Abercrombie and Fitch is an Indonesian company since most of their manufacturing is done there? Is Apple Chinese since that's where they make the goods?
You completely have attempted to turn around what I said. More power to you. Keep with the insults though. I enjoy when people resort to being rude to over compensate ;)

The original poster said "they like to support Canadian companies", from this I took, giving their money to Canada, which is exactly what would happen. The revenue from LUSH USA would help Canada. I also said they are ALL under the same umbrella large company of Lush, which as you mentioned is in UK. Naw Sherlock. Good job. :tu:

Many companies own other companies or have multiple subsidiaries within them. Choose to misinterpret what I said as much as you want. It is still correct. Me personally, I buy from the UK site which would directly benefit and support the UK, that money is not going to America to stimulate the economy there which is what I meant by separate.

Carry on with your hole and peg or whatever you are going on about :rofl: And feel free to twist my words some more just because you didn't understand. Have at it. <3

Hahahahahahahah, okay hun. You do you, boo.

timesnewroman
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by timesnewroman »

this thread went from 0 to 100 what the fuck. i just wanted to read about ppl's favorite products not flame wars lmao

handmadedolly
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by handmadedolly »

timesnewroman wrote:this thread went from 0 to 100 what the fuck. i just wanted to read about ppl's favorite products not flame wars lmao
Agreed. I can't believe people get attacked on a Lush topic :roll:

LurkLurkLurk43
Learner
Learner

Post by LurkLurkLurk43 »

I can, the Lush forums used to be insane.

Personally, I do think they are overrated. I like the bath bombs and bath melts as a treat, but can't use any of the bubble bars (SLS) or the solid shampoos (same reason, which annoys me because I'd like to have a solid shampoo for travel) and all of the skincare products I've tried have been "meh" ranging to "get this off my skin!" - certainly not worth the price. (I don't know why everyone loves Dream Cream, my skin HATES it.)

Plus, they've kind of gotten too far into the gimmicky perfumed bath stuff for my preference, like Snow Fairy and similar stuff that is scented with fragrance and loaded with artificial color and what is natural about pink shower gel that smells like bubblegum, exactly? Especially the bath bombs - they seem to have more now that focus on doing interesting things or pretty colors over having useful ingredients that help the skin. If I'm paying that much for a single use product I want a spa effect, not just pretty water.

That said, products I have/do like:

Lemony Flutter cuticle butter - I have no idea why, but this is the only thing I've found that helps when my hands start cracking. I massage it on at night, put on cotton gloves, and my hands are much better in the morning.

Dreamtime bath melt - I think they just reformulated, but the old one I'm used to (creamy colored bar with stuff in it) does have a very nice calming relaxing smell. (They used to make a massage bar with this scent also and I loved that thing.)

Snowcake soap - my skin doesn't actually like their soaps (too drying) but I buy a piece of this every year and cut it up and tuck it into the boxes for my holiday cards and decorations, so when I open them up the next year there's a nice smell. (Oddly, the Smitten hand cream did not smell at all the same to me.)

Massage bars - I have to be careful with these because the cocoa butter will make me break out if I get it on my face, but they work great for travel as solid lotion.

King of Skin - I've used this as a solid lotion too, and my skin likes it better but it does have a bit of an odd scent. (To give credit where credit is due, there was a period of about six months when my skin was just psoriasis all over and to shower I'd use shower gel on the stinky parts like pits, then use the Aqua Mirabilis scrub bar gently all over as "soap", rinse, then apply KoS to damp skin as a moisturizer and leave it on. I ended up greasy but at least my skin didn't feel like it was on fire. I've since found stuff that my skin seems to like better, but Lush did help then.)

Aqua Mirabilis the old bath melt - gone, but I loved it. (I keep meaning to get the body bar and try cutting it up and using pieces as a bath melt.)

Oatifix fresh face mask - I could probably mix up something similar myself, but if I want to go totally lazy spa day, my skin likes this one and there is no prep involved. Just get it out of the fridge and apply. :)

I do also still do Lush for gifts - a bath bomb or bath melt can be a nice treat as it is the kind of thing that most of my friends and family wouldn't buy for themselves but might have fun with the once, and they are more reliable for quality and scent than random etsy people, so I don't have to worry about giving someone a dud. (I don't have any bath bomb type stuff etailers I really like ATM.)

The other nice thing was that back in the day when I lived in England, Lush UK were very generous with samples by mail, which was very helpful for me since I had limited local stores where I lived. I dunno if they still do that, though.

chriskeller
Learner
Learner

Post by chriskeller »

LurkLurkLurk43 wrote:Personally, I do think they are overrated. I like the bath bombs and bath melts as a treat, but can't use any of the bubble bars (SLS) or the solid shampoos (same reason, which annoys me because I'd like to have a solid shampoo for travel) and all of the skincare products I've tried have been "meh" ranging to "get this off my skin!" - certainly not worth the price. (I don't know why everyone loves Dream Cream, my skin HATES it.)
Try the shampoo bars from JR Liggett's; they're amazing and around $4 at vitacost.

likeclockwork
Learner
Learner

Post by likeclockwork »

Totally agree. I used to love LUSH but now that the prices are so ridiculous I just can't spend such a ridiculous amount of money on, well, basically just a 'nice bath' for the evening.

onigiri815
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by onigiri815 »

Kendalll wrote:
Kendalll wrote:Please do not give out medical advice when you are not anyone's personal doctor and it could be harmful :tu:

Not sure why my post about accutane has been changed when I was recommending a drug you can only get through a doctors anyway.... obviously i meant for people to go to the doctor for it ffs. (accutane)
Yeah wtf? She was just recommending a product not giving out medical advice. Besides, I am sure everyone on GG knows by now to do their own research and go to doctors considering Gurus shell out medical advice like they have a PhD

INdifferent
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by INdifferent »

I love lush and reasons are:

Ethics and values
Seasonal goodies (Yes I'm one of those people haha)
Products that work and doesn't irritate my sensitive skin

I'm a big fan of the big shampoo ;) my husband's favourite is the rub rub rub. Personally I break my bubble bars into a few pieces so it lasts longer, and I tend to buy a relatively big box of goodies every few months and it lasts me ages, so although it's expensive initially I find in the long term it's not really. If that makes sense. There's nothing better than taking a relaxing lush bath. I also love their solid bar shampoos, and the chocolate face mask is amazing. Big fan of their stuff.
Please bear with me, English is my second language

handmadedolly
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by handmadedolly »

INdifferent wrote:I love lush and reasons are:

Ethics and values
Seasonal goodies (Yes I'm one of those people haha)
Products that work and doesn't irritate my sensitive skin

I'm a big fan of the big shampoo ;)
Big shampoo and Seanik solid shampoo are my favourites for my hair. I particularly like using Big because the smell is divine and lasts forever in my hair. I don't find that they strip my hair colour either, despite being salt-based shampoos.

LurkLurkLurk43
Learner
Learner

Post by LurkLurkLurk43 »

INdifferent wrote:Personally I break my bubble bars into a few pieces so it lasts longer, and I tend to buy a relatively big box of goodies every few months and it lasts me ages, so although it's expensive initially I find in the long term it's not really. If that makes sense. There's nothing better than taking a relaxing lush bath.
Just wanted to say that the bubble bars are probably the best bet for easily getting more than one bath from a bath product - some of them are especially generously sized too, and as you crumble to use them they are easier to divide up than the bath bombs, which can be annoying to break.

Also, depending on your water, a full bubble bar may well give you too many bubbles anyway. (I have quite hard water, but if your water is soft or you have a house water softener, you'll need much less.)

Bubble baths also work for cutting up for manicure or pedicure soaks, if you like that kind of thing. If you get a bath melt also you can do a nice soak as a treat and get many more uses as you don't need a ton of product for a hand or foot basin. (Since they have SLS I can only use the bubble bars for my feet since the skin is tougher and less easily irritated. So what I've done is use a bit of bubble bar to start, soak. Apply scrub of choice on feet, soak a bit more. Rinse off scrub then change the water in the basin for fresh and add a piece of bath melt to the fresh water. Soak feet in that for a bit, then dry and apply moisturizer of choice and socks.) (It is a fair amount of soaking but I do it mostly when I've been hard on my feet or in the winter as I have arthritis in my feet, so the warm water feels quite nice.) (You could do the same for your hands or even start with your hands, then top up with warm water and soak your feet in the same water to get the most use out of the product. It's just too drying for my hands.)

Or you could do bubble bar soak, foot mask, rinse, bath melt soak, I suppose. Lush at least used to have a foot mask, though I didn't care for the smell so haven't paid attention to it in years.

I do basically regard Lush and similar as "treat" products for the most part, not everyday. I haven't found the skincare to work with my skin and I'm not super wowed by it compared to other options to drive me to keep trying to find something that does work.

timesnewroman
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by timesnewroman »

I share a lot of the same sentiments as ppl in this thread. I love their bath stuff because it's a treat. I personally don't find the skin care products that great or effective for my skin. I think they have unnecessary ingredients that aren't quite bad for the skin but not grossly beneficial, and for the price I rather place $$ on skincare elsewhere. TOO many essential oils all for the sake of the overt smell, unnecessary. My sister got me mask of magnanimity for christmas and I used it as a spot treatment but I felt like I broke out when I put all over my face. I haven't tried any of their hair products but they're not really my thing in general. I just hate going into that store. I love to smell and read everything before I buy it I don't need someone to tell me how pretty a bath bomb is or smear shit all over my hands. LIKE I GET IT GIRL, SAVE THE SALES PITCH FOR SOMEONE ELSE.

PaperDoll
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by PaperDoll »

StrawberryMilkshake wrote:
Dolce115 wrote:i think it was overrated like 2 years ago, maybe because in England there are so many Lush stores. But it is concidered cheaper than other skincare places like space nk or kiehls or whatever.
Lush is cheap??!!! :o
I just recently discovered that Lush products actually cost much less in the UK vs the US, with the current exchange rate of GBP to USD! Depending upon what you purchase, even when you factor in S&H, ordering it from overseas actually might be the better "bargain." Just look up the cost of an item & do the math, you will be shocked by the comparison. :o

_chairlifted
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by _chairlifted »

hi everyone!!! i'm a first time poster and all that stuff

i like lush a lot, it's sometimes a bit overpriced, but i understand why: i'm very sure it's because they use ethical ingredients in their products (mostly). my favourite product is the mask of magnaminty and christingle!! it sucks that the latter is only sold around christmas because it's really soothing!
also in regards to the uk vs us pricing: i'm very sure it's cheaper because it originated in the uk!! i use the term "very sure" loosely.

p.s. i have a question: i've never bought ocean salt - is it really as good as everyone says?

lilacqueen
Talker
Talker

Post by lilacqueen »

handmadedolly wrote:
StrawberryMilkshake wrote:but the thing is that they still contain parabens, mineral oil, all the ingredients that I want to avoid. I just can't
The parabens they use are natural, they occur naturally in the products (many of the products are self-perserving) and they can be found in the vegetables and fruit you store in your fridge - they are as natural as natural gets. Lush does not use any mineral oil in their products.

Parabens are also necessary in the products because of their fresh nature, otherwise you will get products with mold and bacteria in them. Not cool.
Sorry I'm a bit late to this but there are few things I really wanted to be clarified.
You keep saying that the parabens Lush uses are from fruits and veggies we store in our fridge...which fruits and veggies? Because according to this research here http://www.ewg.org/enviroblog/2015/07/m ... l-parabens (and I quote) "...parabens do exist rarely in nature, but it is highly misleading to claim that they are a common constituent of fruits or vegetables. Meanwhile, a growing body of scientific evidence lends credence to health concerns from paraben exposure".

You said "Parabens are also necessary in the products because of their fresh nature, otherwise you will get products with mold and bacteria in them", if that's true, how do we have so many parabens-free organic skin care products out there?

I used to like Lush products, thinking they are all natural and good for your body, until I found this article: http://www.beautyliestruth.com/blog/201 ... about-lush

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, I just wanted to clear all my doubts.

rebelchild1738
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by rebelchild1738 »

i don't like how the girls at the store r so rude. like y u gotta act like u have something up ur ass. ur not that hot. srsly that is enough for me to leave the store BUH BYEEE

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

When I started using Lush back in late 2012ish no one I knew had even heard of it and now it's all the rageeee lol. I can't live without their cleaners, Angels on Bare Skin literally saved my skin. I suffered from acne most of my life and it cleared it right up. They also have a lot of awesome products for sensitive skinned people like myself.

Doopadoop
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Doopadoop »

I'd say they are far from over priced. And regardless, it's a luxury item so the price tag encourages you to appreciate it more.

RoseJam
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by RoseJam »

I love me a bit of Lush! I can't live without their Celestial moisturiser, it's really good for my dry skin.
I used to think they were overpriced but I've read a lot about how they buy ethically and help local communities and such, so I think it's pretty fairly priced. I'm happy to buy a lot of my smellies there anyway :love2:

Return to “Lush”