Niomi Smart Part 2

gloriaboyde
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Niomi Smart Part 2

Post by gloriaboyde »

On a completely different note, what information do we actually have about Niomi's parents? I saw on Wikitubia that her Mum's name is Verity and her Dad's name is Roland, and I know her Mum had her at 19 or something, but I've always wondered what they did for a living since they are so well-off. Has she ever talked about her Dad? I'm guessing her parents divorced when she was little because I don't think I've ever heard her mention him.

onigiri815
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by onigiri815 »

Eh, Sawyer Hartman has done videos similar before. Emulating Jay and Alexis is fine and well (bubbles bursts eventually now they are broken up) and viewers love seeing that "perfect" lifestyle.

Bringing it back to Niomi though I loved her whole look for the book launch, goodness me.
I'm also wondering if her and Tanya had the same editor/publisher etc? Would that all have been arranged by Gleam? Only because I think last I saw Tanya's book had some errors.

Lamour88
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Lamour88 »

starviolet wrote:
elmox wrote:
starviolet wrote:To me there's no glimmer of doubt that she has an eating disorder. As someone who's had one too, it struck me immediately with her. An eating disorder is not just about how thin (or not) you look. It's her perception of food, and there's definitely a lot wrong with how she thinks about food. I'm sure it's all she thinks about. There are no foods that are 'bad' for you, as we all know it's all about moderation and frequency. No food should be demonised or completely stricken from your diet (unless you have a true diagnosed illness). I don't mean that about the vegan diet as such, that's something else (I don't want to start a vegan debate), but I have noticed another vegan youtuber with an eating disorder as well who demonises non-vegan food. It's definitely a phenomenon.

Oh and her posing in thumbnails is painfully awkward, she should quit.
Who are you to say that no food should be completely stricken from someone else's diet? It's completely her choice and not unhealthy. As long as she's getting enough vitamins/nutrients there's no problem. I've met Niomi and she looks great. She doesn't get preachy about eating vegan/plant-based and she recently ran a marathon and wrote a cookbook so health is going to be a huge part of her life right now. Also, I think so many people are overweight now that it's seen as normal and that's not right.
Lol my post is just that, an opinion, what I believe is true, just like yours is an opinion too and I can take it or leave it. That speaks for itself..

I agree that she doesn't preach and that's great, but it's worrying to see someone with an ED, imo, with a big audience like that, possibly influencing young girls into a fear of certain foods. She spreads a lot of good info about how to be healthy, but perhaps not just that.

I completely, 100% agree. I have also had an ED and then subsequently worked a lot with young women with eating disorders. While I acknowledge it is difficult to diagnose someone just through 'watching' them in this way, it's so clear to anyone with knowledge of the disorder that Niomi so clearly suffers from an ED and I find it so, so uncomfortable that she has been given the platform to hawk eating 'tips' to young women. Toxic habits with food and eating is much harder to detect in today's society because we have become obsessed with diets that are peddled as lifestyles and the treating of certain foods as poison or 'off limits'. This is mainstream now, lauded as the ideal way to live and eat. I'm so thankful that I started to recover from my ED *just* before the gluten free/paleo/etc fads hit the mainstream, or else I have little doubt that I would NOT have recovered and would've gone further down that hole of self-destruction. I see SO many common habits, tricks, and behaviours mirrored in Niomi, that I feel a lot of sympathy but also disgust that she is being encouraged and given this platform, and that people are so hypnotized by the idea of "health" and "good food" that they say they'd say they'd rather their own daughters be trapped into this toxic pseudo health lifestyle rather than be "fat" or "obese". It is correct that if not for the reason of an allergy or complete intolerance (which can include a genuine distaste for the taste or texture of course) to a food, to refuse completely to ever under any circumstances let that food cross your lips because you think it is "unhealthy" is a clear signal of a disordered mind.

Didn't Marcus also recently allude to really messed up eating behaviour that he engaged in, how it robbed him of joy, made him unhealthy, and his family was concerned about him? This was clearly in reference to his time /w/ Niomi and it's evident in watching earlier vlogs of Marcus. I remember one in particular where they were on a boys trip skiing-- the guys were making constant references to Marcus' health obsession, how he clearly wouldn't eat this or that. One morning there was an issue with the breakfast and they all had to stop at a bakery. Marcus was forced to get some sort of pizza bun thing and he was saying "This is my worst nightmare". To a casual observer he might've just looked dejected in the way one would when eating a breakfast they didn't prefer. But I recognized that genuine terror in his face-- he literally looked like he might cry. If it were Niomi, I would bet that she either wouldn't eat breakfast at all or would've pre-packed all her meals before going on vacation. Anyone can eat healthy and should-- that is what I myself do now, for most of the time. But I can also enjoy a spontaneous stop at a cafe for a scone without the fear and anxiety and planning, I can grab an "undesirable" meal at an airport if my flight is delayed and there is nothing else to eat, and I can join my friends at a restaurant without checking the menu a million times online and then spending days restricting and compensating for the amount of sodium in my salad. I have no doubt that Niomi cannot do any of those things.

I feel bad for Niomi in that her choices are so clearly being validated and if there is a recovery for her, it is years and years away. I'm sure people will react poorly to this but I think as many people that can speak out should do so, because I know what being young and impressionable and seeking advice from people from Niomi is like, and if these words can get out there then maybe it can help someone.

Lea

Post by Lea »

I completely agree, Lamour88. I don't believe in this whole clean eating thing at all, not eating dairy or meat is not going to give you superhuman characteristics, your body will just adapt to it. I think people think that humans have a natural diet of fruits and vegetables which we should aspire to emulate when really we don't, we have evolved to be able to sustain on whatever is available. You wouldn't have caught some cave man fretting because there was no quinoa or chia seeds. I wish people who chat shit about nutrition would actually study nutrition and have some type of knowledge of human physiology and biology because it's really uncomfortable seeing someone like Niomi, who after a law degree I thought would be pretty inteligent, think some blended fruits and vegetables (aka fibre and sugar) would have *-*magical healing properties*-* and would completely cleanse your body. I mean, thank goodness for smoothies, how would we survive with all these toxins circulating around our body without their cleansing properties? It's an amazement that the human race has managed to survive the pre-Nutribullet times :roll: :rofl:

I don't really care much about researching nutrition as I think the effect it has on health is pretty minimal, but research shows that a standard

onigiri815
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by onigiri815 »

Newest IG post for Body Shop... why was it in a bikini? Necessary?

paintmedance
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by paintmedance »

Her snapchats over the last few days too. Stretched out on the floor in a sports bra for "just did a workout". I also don't like her snapchats or her filming generally with her little sister - she looks so posey.

paintmedance
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by paintmedance »

Her snapchats over the last few days too. Stretched out on the floor in a sports bra for "just did a workout". I also don't like her snapchats or her filming generally with her little sister - it looks so posey.

staedtler
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by staedtler »

Lea wrote:I completely agree, Lamour88. I don't believe in this whole clean eating thing at all, not eating dairy or meat is not going to give you superhuman characteristics, your body will just adapt to it. I think people think that humans have a natural diet of fruits and vegetables which we should aspire to emulate when really we don't, we have evolved to be able to sustain on whatever is available. You wouldn't have caught some cave man fretting because there was no quinoa or chia seeds. I wish people who chat shit about nutrition would actually study nutrition and have some type of knowledge of human physiology and biology because it's really uncomfortable seeing someone like Niomi, who after a law degree I thought would be pretty inteligent, think some blended fruits and vegetables (aka fibre and sugar) would have *-*magical healing properties*-* and would completely cleanse your body. I mean, thank goodness for smoothies, how would we survive with all these toxins circulating around our body without their cleansing properties? It's an amazement that the human race has managed to survive the pre-Nutribullet times :roll: :rofl:

I don't really care much about researching nutrition as I think the effect it has on health is pretty minimal, but research shows that a standard
Maybe you should research nutrition. Our diet has a huge impact on our lives. You don't have to eat a vegan diet, but every doctor will agree that vegetarian diets are far superior than meat heavy diet. Even my doctor published studies showing that milk (just milk) is not that good for you, but yogurts and kefirs have whole bunch of great things in them and should be consumed regularly. Try eating nothing but fast food with minimal veggies for a month, and then switch to unprocessed foods (veggies, fruit, grain and lean protein) and then you can tell me if you feel different.

You sound very ignorant TBH, everyone knows veggies and fruits are extremely important to overall health. You don't have to blend them or do anything special do them, just eat them as they are, but why criticize someone for making damn smoothies? The one thing I agree with you is the whole cleanse bullshit. Your kidneys do a superb job with that, "nutritionists" should really stop pushing all those cleanses.

elmox
Learner
Learner

Post by elmox »

Lamour88 wrote:
starviolet wrote:
elmox wrote:
starviolet wrote:To me there's no glimmer of doubt that she has an eating disorder. As someone who's had one too, it struck me immediately with her. An eating disorder is not just about how thin (or not) you look. It's her perception of food, and there's definitely a lot wrong with how she thinks about food. I'm sure it's all she thinks about. There are no foods that are 'bad' for you, as we all know it's all about moderation and frequency. No food should be demonised or completely stricken from your diet (unless you have a true diagnosed illness). I don't mean that about the vegan diet as such, that's something else (I don't want to start a vegan debate), but I have noticed another vegan youtuber with an eating disorder as well who demonises non-vegan food. It's definitely a phenomenon.

Oh and her posing in thumbnails is painfully awkward, she should quit.
Who are you to say that no food should be completely stricken from someone else's diet? It's completely her choice and not unhealthy. As long as she's getting enough vitamins/nutrients there's no problem. I've met Niomi and she looks great. She doesn't get preachy about eating vegan/plant-based and she recently ran a marathon and wrote a cookbook so health is going to be a huge part of her life right now. Also, I think so many people are overweight now that it's seen as normal and that's not right.
Lol my post is just that, an opinion, what I believe is true, just like yours is an opinion too and I can take it or leave it. That speaks for itself..

I agree that she doesn't preach and that's great, but it's worrying to see someone with an ED, imo, with a big audience like that, possibly influencing young girls into a fear of certain foods. She spreads a lot of good info about how to be healthy, but perhaps not just that.

I completely, 100% agree. I have also had an ED and then subsequently worked a lot with young women with eating disorders. While I acknowledge it is difficult to diagnose someone just through 'watching' them in this way, it's so clear to anyone with knowledge of the disorder that Niomi so clearly suffers from an ED and I find it so, so uncomfortable that she has been given the platform to hawk eating 'tips' to young women. Toxic habits with food and eating is much harder to detect in today's society because we have become obsessed with diets that are peddled as lifestyles and the treating of certain foods as poison or 'off limits'. This is mainstream now, lauded as the ideal way to live and eat. I'm so thankful that I started to recover from my ED *just* before the gluten free/paleo/etc fads hit the mainstream, or else I have little doubt that I would NOT have recovered and would've gone further down that hole of self-destruction. I see SO many common habits, tricks, and behaviours mirrored in Niomi, that I feel a lot of sympathy but also disgust that she is being encouraged and given this platform, and that people are so hypnotized by the idea of "health" and "good food" that they say they'd say they'd rather their own daughters be trapped into this toxic pseudo health lifestyle rather than be "fat" or "obese". It is correct that if not for the reason of an allergy or complete intolerance (which can include a genuine distaste for the taste or texture of course) to a food, to refuse completely to ever under any circumstances let that food cross your lips because you think it is "unhealthy" is a clear signal of a disordered mind.

Didn't Marcus also recently allude to really messed up eating behaviour that he engaged in, how it robbed him of joy, made him unhealthy, and his family was concerned about him? This was clearly in reference to his time /w/ Niomi and it's evident in watching earlier vlogs of Marcus. I remember one in particular where they were on a boys trip skiing-- the guys were making constant references to Marcus' health obsession, how he clearly wouldn't eat this or that. One morning there was an issue with the breakfast and they all had to stop at a bakery. Marcus was forced to get some sort of pizza bun thing and he was saying "This is my worst nightmare". To a casual observer he might've just looked dejected in the way one would when eating a breakfast they didn't prefer. But I recognized that genuine terror in his face-- he literally looked like he might cry. If it were Niomi, I would bet that she either wouldn't eat breakfast at all or would've pre-packed all her meals before going on vacation. Anyone can eat healthy and should-- that is what I myself do now, for most of the time. But I can also enjoy a spontaneous stop at a cafe for a scone without the fear and anxiety and planning, I can grab an "undesirable" meal at an airport if my flight is delayed and there is nothing else to eat, and I can join my friends at a restaurant without checking the menu a million times online and then spending days restricting and compensating for the amount of sodium in my salad. I have no doubt that Niomi cannot do any of those things.

I feel bad for Niomi in that her choices are so clearly being validated and if there is a recovery for her, it is years and years away. I'm sure people will react poorly to this but I think as many people that can speak out should do so, because I know what being young and impressionable and seeking advice from people from Niomi is like, and if these words can get out there then maybe it can help someone.
You sound like you're trying very hard to convince yourself tbh. I agree Niomi seems to be very strict with what she eats, but if you'd rather your child was 'fat' or 'obese' instead of very healthy that's quite worrying.

'It is correct that if not for the reason of an allergy or complete intolerance (which can include a genuine distaste for the taste or texture of course) to a food, to refuse completely to ever under any circumstances let that food cross your lips because you think it is "unhealthy" is a clear signal of a disordered mind.' - You can word it however you want but that's not true. If i choose never to eat cake because it's unhealthy it doesn't mean I have a disordered mind :roll:

I'm sure it can restricting for her, but I think you're blowing it out of proportion because of your own experiences. Anyway - that's the last time I will continue the ED convo, it's just going round in circles.

LadyBugB
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by LadyBugB »

I think I'm going to buy her book, it's weird; whenever I'm in a bookstore and think I should buy a book I don't because I know I can get so many things online. But after reading reviews on her book it sounds like a lot of neat recipes based on her experiences: travel, running a marathon etc have all been captured. That one-stop shop thing works for my type of lifestyle so I think it'll be a good purchase.

chocolate_eclair
Talker
Talker

Post by chocolate_eclair »

Some of y'all are just plain crazy, when people say they're not into vegan/vegeterian diets that doesn't mean they're into being obese or eating unhealthy. Eating meat or animal products are not bad for you calm down. Where I'm from nothing is grown with GMOs or hormones and people don't get sick from eating meat or dairy. But when I moved to the US for uni, I got so sick eating the meat here that I had to take a break from it, same thing with the milk. Back home we don't have even half the diseases and problems people in North America/Europe do though. So I can see why people feel better by cutting things like meat out of their diets in this part of the world.
The point is always eat fresh food, avoid processed or frozen, eat all the food groups but eat in moderation and you're set. Restricting yourself isn't going to make you healthier, and the only reason I'm replying about this is because this is what I focus on at university and it makes me sad that some people make simple things so complicated, point is human beings are omnivores and function best on a balanced diet, and by balanced that includes meat.

chocolate_eclair
Talker
Talker

Post by chocolate_eclair »

But back to Niomi, I think she's a classy girl but is obviously feeling some kind of insecurity over marcus and his new gf, but I don't blame her for acting like that, the breakup wasn't that long ago and Marcus is being very immature by flashing his relationship everywhere. I think Niomi's physically prettier than this girl though.

kiwiana
Informer
Informer

Post by kiwiana »

Dandelion wrote:Wow, that Mykonos Summer 2016 video is pure cringe. They are trying to copy people like Jay Alvarrez and Alexis Ren, except it's been done before and done much better. I always thought Marcus was fairly good looking but he's not hot enough for these kinds of videos. He looks like a dick with his bleached hair in dumb styles. He and Stefanie are far too keen on showing themselves and each other off. It's as if they've both been waiting for a partner to show off and do Instagram posts and holiday vlogs with. I'm surprised Marcus is doing this. He has just been through a (I presume) painful break up, now he's showing off his new love in blatant ways. This could backfire in their faces big time. I used to think Stefanie was a sweet girl but all this swinging her hair, prancing around like a model, and triumphantly acting out happy love scenes with her new hot partner is painful to watch and shows her in a very bad light. You would think they would rather share their happiness with each other and keep it private instead of parading it around. It seems kind of desperate.
She prances like a model because she is, in fact, a model. Eh, I agree it's a bit showy but I follow both of them on snapchat and they both seem super cute and into each other - I personally don't doubt it's a genuine relationship. Any who, this doesn't really belong on Niomi's thread so back to her...

onigiri815
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by onigiri815 »

Sports bra after a workout, eh kinda makes sense. Bikini while editing videos with a face mask on.... what.

I don't think Niomi is insecure. Maybe deep down she also wants to show what she's doing, i think alot of people come to that stage after a break up of just wanting to be more active not to catch attention of anyone or their ex but just to feel more involved in things. Plus, she has her book launch I'd expect her to be doing a bit more on her channels.

getinmymachine
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by getinmymachine »

I don't want to speculate but I do find it shocking when she shows a tiny meal (to young impressionable viewers) and afterwards she's all "I'm SO FULL I couldn't even eat all of that GIGANTIC PORTION!" But I guess everyone is different, her body might just be used to small portions. Hope she's ok.

A few pages back there was talk of Marcus dissing their healthy lifestyle recently, does anyone remember what he said?

staedtler
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by staedtler »

getinmymachine wrote:I don't want to speculate but I do find it shocking when she shows a tiny meal (to young impressionable viewers) and afterwards she's all "I'm SO FULL I couldn't even eat all of that GIGANTIC PORTION!" But I guess everyone is different, her body might just be used to small portions. Hope she's ok.

A few pages back there was talk of Marcus dissing their healthy lifestyle recently, does anyone remember what he said?
Plant based food is always high in fiber so you fill up quickly with a small portion. You do need to eat more often, but in smaller portions.

blissful
Informer
Informer

Post by blissful »

staedtler wrote:
getinmymachine wrote:I don't want to speculate but I do find it shocking when she shows a tiny meal (to young impressionable viewers) and afterwards she's all "I'm SO FULL I couldn't even eat all of that GIGANTIC PORTION!" But I guess everyone is different, her body might just be used to small portions. Hope she's ok.

Plant based food is always high in fiber so you fill up quickly with a small portion. You do need to eat more often, but in smaller portions.
But Niomi doesn't eat more often. She has three meals, if that a day. Have you ever watched her what I eat in a day videos?

It's ridiculous how defensive people are about Niomi here. Sure, at one point she seemed like a nice girl who had a passion for healthy eating. But now she's become someone who is clearly obsessive about food and exercise to the point where it's scary. Plus, she's incredibly self-obsessed. Her snapchats are embarrassing. It's ridiculously awkward watching her pose and prance around in her sports bras, trying to act like she's hot shit. Or her Instagrams where she's all posy. It's crazy obvious she's trying to copy Stefanie since all of this really started when Marcus and Stefanie started being more public. There's confidence, and then there's "look at me, aren't I just soooo beautiful and fit". And like others have mentioned, her body doesn't reflect her exercise regime. She obviously doesn't eat enough calories to gain even a bit of muscle. She looked the best when she went to Santorini when she was with Marcus.

Lea

Post by Lea »

staedtler wrote:
Lea wrote:I completely agree, Lamour88. I don't believe in this whole clean eating thing at all, not eating dairy or meat is not going to give you superhuman characteristics, your body will just adapt to it. I think people think that humans have a natural diet of fruits and vegetables which we should aspire to emulate when really we don't, we have evolved to be able to sustain on whatever is available. You wouldn't have caught some cave man fretting because there was no quinoa or chia seeds. I wish people who chat shit about nutrition would actually study nutrition and have some type of knowledge of human physiology and biology because it's really uncomfortable seeing someone like Niomi, who after a law degree I thought would be pretty inteligent, think some blended fruits and vegetables (aka fibre and sugar) would have *-*magical healing properties*-* and would completely cleanse your body. I mean, thank goodness for smoothies, how would we survive with all these toxins circulating around our body without their cleansing properties? It's an amazement that the human race has managed to survive the pre-Nutribullet times :roll: :rofl:

Maybe you should research nutrition. Our diet has a huge impact on our lives. You don't have to eat a vegan diet, but every doctor will agree that vegetarian diets are far superior than meat heavy diet. Even my doctor published studies showing that milk (just milk) is not that good for you, but yogurts and kefirs have whole bunch of great things in them and should be consumed regularly. Try eating nothing but fast food with minimal veggies for a month, and then switch to unprocessed foods (veggies, fruit, grain and lean protein) and then you can tell me if you feel different.

You sound very ignorant TBH, everyone knows veggies and fruits are extremely important to overall health. You don't have to blend them or do anything special do them, just eat them as they are, but why criticize someone for making damn smoothies? The one thing I agree with you is the whole cleanse bullshit. Your kidneys do a superb job with that, "nutritionists" should really stop pushing all those cleanses.
I study nutrition... You've completely exaggerated what I was saying. I've not said that only eating fast food will be good for you, obviously it won't and will completely strain your body as it attempts to regulate the high sugar and high fat content. What I said was being a completely clean vegan won't have a lot of benefit over someone who eats a "normal" diet (aka the typical balanced diet of fruits, veg, dairy, meat and carbs with the occasional junk food). There is this demonisation of food on social media where people think one McDonalds meal will immediately clog their arteries and one bar of chocolate will give them type 2 diabetes mellitus.

I'm not talking about the average vegetarian, I'm not talking about the person who makes sure they eat their five-a-day. I'm talking about people like Niomi who have such a rigid and strict way of eating. I've said it before but I think, for example, if you can't go to say the beach and get an ice-cream without stressing out or if you can't order a popcorn at the cinema then I think your attitude to food is too obsessive. Obviously this doesn't refer to people with actual allergies and intolerances. Obviously people can eat what they want to eat and Niomi can do what she wants, I just think Marcus was right to say what he did about his previous diet and lifestyle.

LadyBugB
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by LadyBugB »

I question the onset of bikini / workout shots then I remember she is staying true to her brand she is expanding. I think she'll be a contender for fitness magazines as well as another book that looks more into her regime whether it is through boxing classes, marathon training or resettling your mind and body. I think she is happy with the results she worked hard to get and is celebrating by not hiding it. She knows there is a time and place, she is conservative at certain events and then when she's worked out she dresses the part. Can't hate on that.

kofi
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by kofi »

Tbh as a person that has an ED i'd rather have a fat kid (as that can be tackled by eating healthily and exercising in most cases) than a kid with an eating disorder. The mental scars still hurt you even years after you have reached a healthy weight.
YES, it'd be amazing if we had a super big youtuber like Niomi who is healthy and a great role model, but Niomi is not the case. Diagnoses aside, shes mega obsessive with her eating habits. I doubt she could go eat a cupcake with a friend once in a blue moon-- she'd reject it out of fear. That's not healthy. Mentally, It's not healthy a lot. Nobody should live under such stress.

Return to “Niomi Smart”