Dan and Phil's music taste/recs

mermaid blood
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dan and Phil's music taste/recs

Post by mermaid blood »

Add to the list in your post following the bold/underline format for ease of reading. If you have links/citations/source that's great, but probably not necessary and might clog up the thread. maybe add them further down below your list.

If they've only mentioned an artist once, perhaps add the album, track or video afterwards that was mentioned, for those who want to check them out (as a starting point). if you have any other suggestions like this, go for it!

current list so far:

BOTH:

muse (maybe someone could list their fav albums? i forget)
aladdin soundtrack
high school musical soundtrack
rihanna

DAN:

radiohead
die antwoord
st vincent
death grips
ludovico einaudi
mastodon
kanye west
iamamiwhoami
frank ocean
odd future
kendrick lamar
childish gambino
ben howard
years & years ('real' track')
jamie xx ('In Colour' album")
perfume genius ('queen' video)
florence & the machine ('dog days' track)
fka twigs ('two weeks', 'pendulum', 'glass & patron' videos)
beyonce ('drunk in love'...lol. 'halo')
run the jewels
m.i.a.
badbadnotgood
sam smith
chopin (can't remember...specific étude or preludes mentioned? one makes him cry?)
smash mouth
s club 7
moulin rouge soundtrack

PHIL:

the shins
inception soundtrack
lion king soundtrack

l8er_sk8er
Learner
Learner

Re: Dan and Phil's music taste/recs

Post by l8er_sk8er »

DAN:
Vince Staples (Hell Can Wait 2014)
Flying Lotus (You're Dead! 2014)
Freddie Gibbs and Madlib (Piñata 2014)
Swans (To Be Kind 2014)
Ibeyi - River
Asap Rocky
Sergei Rachmaninoff
[youtube][/youtube]
English is not my native language

missemma
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by missemma »

If we are doing all music then here is a few screenshots from Dans 'HXC' Spotify playlist from 2011which is a mixture of metal songs.
In honesty I doubt he listens to any of this now (even though its amazing).

Sorry the last image is only for the last 2 songs. He also had 2 other playlists that I will try and screenshot at some point. Sorry they're also from my phone.

He mentioned in a liveshow in June that he had last listened to Machine Head - Bloodstones & Diamonds.
"you don't need to say pow every time I apply some wood" - Dan Howell 2015.

ImageImageImage

mermaid blood
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by mermaid blood »

missemma i think it's safe to say he still listens to heavy stuff semi-regularly. (maybe not all those though you're right, it was 4 years ago after all). that radioshow mention confirms it. i'll put it here for others who may not have seen:

[youtube][/youtube]
8.12-8.40 (Phil doesn't like Dan's "angry-sounding" "shouty" bands. the whole exchange is adorable)

i so wish we could edit posts on GG, grr. maybe a google doc should be started at some point when there are a few more:

DAN

dimmu borgir
machine head ('bloodstones & diamonds', album)
tame impala ('cause i'm a man', track)

mrscrabstickz
Talker
Talker

Post by mrscrabstickz »

Thanks for setting this up mermaid blood :D

Not a specific artist, but I know Dan likes Anthony Fantano and his music reviews. If you haven't watched his videos, they are great for anyone that enjoys music. I noticed a few people talking about Florence in the off topic, so I'll link his review of her newest album below the spoiler if anyone is interested.
[youtube][/youtube]

Spicyhottea
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Spicyhottea »

Dan has a playlist he once linked in an old 2011 tweet on Spotify called Blap. He last updated it in 2014 and lol I highly recommend it, actually. Seems to have some of his favourite hip hop and rap on it.

Spicyhottea
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Spicyhottea »

Dammit, I can't edit my post again so I'm sorry. But I was the most excited about him adding Kill You by Eminem in it. It makes me think he might agree that the Marshall Mathers LP is one of his favourite albums; I hope so. I remember hearing that album when it came out and I was far too young to do so (and I'm older than Dan). I've been obsessed with it ever since, it's one of the most epicly incredible albums ever and that's easily one of my favourite songs on it.

Edit #1: Can someone put in the link for the metal playlist please? It's just under the button on the playlist with 3 dots.

Edit #2: Nevermind

missemma
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by missemma »

mermaid blood wrote:missemma i think it's safe to say he still listens to heavy stuff semi-regularly. (maybe not all those though you're right, it was 4 years ago after all). that radioshow mention confirms it. i'll put it here for others who may not have seen:
ack)
One of my two premium questions on younow I've sent I asked him about his top 3 metal albums he's listening to at the moment (this was June 2015) and his reply was "do I even listen to that much metal" so I don't think he listens to it that much anymore unfortunately.

ImageImageImage

ialreadyregretthis
Learner
Learner

Post by ialreadyregretthis »

DAN:
spice girls (spiceworld album)

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

Well someone should keep a track of that old mix tape Phil is playing on the radio :lol:
Credit:amazingfiru

missemma
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by missemma »

humanholiday wrote:Dan has a playlist he once linked in an old 2011 tweet on Spotify called Blap. He last updated it in 2014 and lol I highly recommend it, actually. Seems to have some of his favourite hip hop and rap on it.
He also has a third playlist but I can't find it, I'll keep looking though, I'm sure it was a pop kinda playlist, again it's fairly old. It's a shame both his and Phil's Spotify isn't more public, I'm so nosey and would love to know what they are listening too.

I was just looking through Dan's "Blap" playlist and he has Hadouken - MAD on there, I used to love that song (so much so I had it as my ring tone, hella annoying). That playlist is a bit of a mixture as he's got some metal right in the middle of it.

To add to the music list:

Both:
System Of A Down

Phil:
We The Kings
He used their song in this video:
[video][/video]

Also, I would assume he is/was a fan of Punk Goes Pop seeing as he used A Static Lullabys cover of Toxic in one of his videos too which is from Punk Goes Pop 2.

ImageImageImage

senpai
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by senpai »

Do Dan's old MySpace music faves count? Haha.

Also, he's mentioned enjoying Lana Del Rey a few times now.

missemma
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by missemma »

Found Dan's other Spotify playlist, it's called Zzap

It's not been updated since 2011 though.

ImageImageImage

hbanana
Informer
Informer

Post by hbanana »

He's also mentioned liking Arcade Fire and seeing them live. He mentioned it a few times but I forget where exactly. If I'm correct I think he may have liked a few things in the aeroplane over the sea related on tumblr (but the band specifically is neutral milk hotel) but that's a little less "proven." I'd be surprised if he didn't though I feel like everyone loves that album tbh...
Edit- didn't Phil say he liked Joy Division?

missemma
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by missemma »

As I have no life I've started going through liveshows from the beginning and writing down any bands or albums that get mentioned. I'm starting with Dan as he mentions music more.
I'm interested how many times he gets asked the same questions about the same bands. I'll be back with the results. Going to try and do it year by year .

ImageImageImage

WingsOfADream
Talker
Talker

Post by WingsOfADream »

Dan's also said he enjoys Kpop! He mentioned it in Youtubers React to Kpop 2, and Phil said he hears Dan's kpop through the walls. He likes ShiNee, and his fave song is Lucifer I think? There's also a video of him dancing to Gee on youtube.

Anyway here's him being Kpop trash

mrscrabstickz
Talker
Talker

Post by mrscrabstickz »

missemma wrote:As I have no life I've started going through liveshows from the beginning and writing down any bands or albums that get mentioned. I'm starting with Dan as he mentions music more.
I'm interested how many times he gets asked the same questions about the same bands. I'll be back with the results. Going to try and do it year by year .
I'm interested to see your findings! The number of times he gets asked about Fall Out Boy and Panic have to be astronomical. I think I relate more to Dan musically, but I am intrigued to see what bands Phil mentions, because as you've said, he talks about it less frequently.

I was glad to hear him show some love for Pretty Odd in the last liveshow, it was a favorite of mine when it came out. I believe he also mentioned enjoying Dr Dre's newest album Compton.

Spicyhottea
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Spicyhottea »

humanholiday wrote:Dan has a playlist he once linked in an old 2011 tweet on Spotify called Blap. He last updated it in 2014 and lol I highly recommend it, actually. Seems to have some of his favourite hip hop and rap on it.
Boo, he emptied it. What was the point of that? I loved that playlist. Here's giving you the stinkeye, Daniel.

Somelikeitpink
Informer
Informer

Post by Somelikeitpink »

humanholiday wrote:
Boo, he emptied it. What was the point of that? I loved that playlist. Here's giving you the stinkeye, Daniel.
I actually think that might be because he's making a new playlist.

He mentioned something in his last live show about how he wants to make a playlist with everything him and Phil played on radio one over the last year (their *cough cough* favourites) so considering the timing.. I'd say maybe because of that?

Leme1124
Informer
Informer

Post by Leme1124 »

To add, Dan: Slipknot (when he was 12) and can we say, Britney Spears? (as we all know, Toxic, but I also remember in one live show he said he knew the lyrics to Piece of me lol)

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”