Karlie Kloss

whatwut
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Karlie Kloss

Post by whatwut »

Karlie Kloss made a youtube channel....I'm kind of digging it so far. Hopefully it doesn't end up super scripted like Shay Mitchell's. I'm not sure how I feel about all these celebrities making youtube accounts though. I know the Kardashian and Jenner sister's are also looking into it. It seems like they're just trying to jump on a bandwagon to increase their fame.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH5Qu8 ... k4xc_J5VzA

Eclectic
Learner
Learner

Re: Karlie Kloss

Post by Eclectic »

Yeah Shay's had so much potential but just comes off like she's acting (not well either, for an actor). But Karlie is friends with Casey Neistat and IIRC he helped her set her channel up. I'm sure he's given her a few tips and tricks :)

bigmouthstrikesagain
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by bigmouthstrikesagain »

It's very beautiful and aesthetically shot and presented. It appears she has a team that does the production and editing. Is that a good thing? No doubt she seems smart, interesting and everything else that makes people want to subscribe but isn't the point of youtube the fact that real people are making real videos. I am personally not a fan of the extremely high production quality videos so there's that.

I wonder if this is going to be a makeup-lifestyle type venture or a general extension of a blog, I know she'll be swamped in followers in no time. I'm quite curious actually but only out of bored interest, I think.

Tsubaki
Informer
Informer

Post by Tsubaki »

Interesting. I didn't know she had a YouTube channel up but I'm all for celebrities embracing different media to reach out to their fans and promote a different aspect of their lives. I'm not sure why the Kardashians really need to make one because it'd be like an extension of their reality TV show. I agree Shay had a lot of potential but it flopped. It's hard to tell what sort of direction Karlie is going for at the moment with only one video and a channel trailer up.

sqm
Talker
Talker

Post by sqm »

bigmouthstrikesagain wrote:It appears she has a team that does the production and editing. Is that a good thing?
This caught my attention too when I watched her first videos. I hope the videos don't end up too over-edited because I would love to see just honest vlogs about her life or what she's up to and behind the scenes footage of events she's attending. What does she need a full editorial team for?

Karlie always seemed like such an interesting person, she's maybe the #1 model whose YouTube channel I would actually want to watch so I'm pretty excited to see what the channel is going to be like! <3

skm2016
Talker
Talker

Post by skm2016 »

It makes me roll my eyes because it's usually just another money-maker for the celeb and another carefully edited and manipulated version of themselves. They try to make us think they're "just like us" but they are not, at all. Just another way to show off their oh-so-glamorous lives. Spare me!

boxesofbitches
Lurker
Lurker

Post by boxesofbitches »

I don't think I have been this excited for anything on Youtube since probably 2010.
I would rather look at what interesting things Karlie Kloss does in her celebrity day-to-day life than watch nobodies like Zoella and Awful Deyes sit there and eat pizza.
I don't see the point in vloggers because they just film their boring lives, but Karlie could turn out to be quite interesting to watch. :D

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Pastel »

I'm holding out hope that she's just using her connections to start it all up, and that she'll eventually try to do more work herself. That might be naïve though, I don't know. She does have a pretty busy lifestyle. But then again, she's coding so she's clearly willing to pick up new skills.

Either way I'm very intrigued. I hope she'll do a bit of beauty talk as well as the vlogs. Or cooking videos. I'd watch the hell out of that.

whatwut
Talker
Talker

Post by whatwut »

Eclectic wrote:Yeah Shay's had so much potential but just comes off like she's acting (not well either, for an actor). But Karlie is friends with Casey Neistat and IIRC he helped her set her channel up. I'm sure he's given her a few tips and tricks :)
Yea, I really liked her first video about showing what her life was like. That was cool. I wish she would stop calling herself a coder though, programming for one hour using ruby doesn't exactly make you a programmer.

whatwut
Talker
Talker

Post by whatwut »

bigmouthstrikesagain wrote:It's very beautiful and aesthetically shot and presented. It appears she has a team that does the production and editing. Is that a good thing? No doubt she seems smart, interesting and everything else that makes people want to subscribe but isn't the point of youtube the fact that real people are making real videos. I am personally not a fan of the extremely high production quality videos so there's that.

I wonder if this is going to be a makeup-lifestyle type venture or a general extension of a blog, I know she'll be swamped in followers in no time. I'm quite curious actually but only out of bored interest, I think.
Right now it doesn't seem overproduced, so I'm okay with the production team. Celebrities on youtube in general seems a bit iffy, like it's a marketing ploy to me. Her first video was just showing her life, which I thought was cool.

whatwut
Talker
Talker

Post by whatwut »

Tsubaki wrote:Interesting. I didn't know she had a YouTube channel up but I'm all for celebrities embracing different media to reach out to their fans and promote a different aspect of their lives. I'm not sure why the Kardashians really need to make one because it'd be like an extension of their reality TV show. I agree Shay had a lot of potential but it flopped. It's hard to tell what sort of direction Karlie is going for at the moment with only one video and a channel trailer up.
The kardashians want to get into beauty blogging, they've said that in a few interviews. Their websites were supposed to go up earlier this month, but I guess there was a delay.

cookiesandcream
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by cookiesandcream »

Just watched her Q&A video, and I think she's doing a great job! Unlike Shay, Karlie is doing Youtube 'right'. She isn't too structured or scripted, and in my opinion, you get the same vibe from watching her as you do from other Youtubers. She comes across as very natural and not like she's trying too hard to impress the viewer/seem perfect.

Eclectic
Learner
Learner

Post by Eclectic »

Agreed :tu: Enjoyed her Q&A and I like that she kept it short, sweet and simple. Best of luck to her.

galaxy_stars
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by galaxy_stars »

I also thought Shay had potential. Then she turned out to be a huge sell out (that palm breeze video was so fake and scripted). She's not that great of an actor on PLL, and the acting shows in the videos :? . I have high hopes for Karlie, though... seeing as her bf is one of Instagram's first investors, and she's going to school for coding. She seems serious about entering the tech world and IMO comes off as smart and pretty in touch w/ the internet world.

imaginarypants
Learner
Learner

Post by imaginarypants »

Karlie does come off as pretty relaxed and genuine, which I do like, but the vast amounts of editing and producing on her Q&A kind of takes away from the relaxed youtube-y vibe she's going for (which she achieved pretty successfully with her backstage video). I hope they keep it simpler in the future -- Karlie does comes off as sweet and lovely and pretty grounded so this much window dressing isn't necessary.

sqm
Talker
Talker

Post by sqm »

cookiesandcream wrote:Just watched her Q&A video, and I think she's doing a great job! Unlike Shay, Karlie is doing Youtube 'right'. She isn't too structured or scripted, and in my opinion, you get the same vibe from watching her as you do from other Youtubers. She comes across as very natural and not like she's trying too hard to impress the viewer/seem perfect.
Yes, this was my exact reaction to the Q&A, too!

She gets YouTube, she understands what a good video is supposed to be like and she acts like a professional in front of the camera. I have high hopes for the channel.

milanese15
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by milanese15 »

It doesn't feel over edited to me. But I agree with the couple posters calling it a business opportunity basically. You don't really become rich from being a model. You pretty much always have to use your celebrity to start something else. That's why Gisele makes so much more than any other model. Karlie's videos have producer credits, so I think it's pretty clear that it's all calculated. And I'm not so sure how authentic and real the "programmer" thing is. But I don't begrudge people for trying to expand and diversify. Considering how important a model's social media has become for booking jobs, I think it's a smart move. So I'll keep watching.

slgnouasgou
Learner
Learner

Post by slgnouasgou »

galaxy_stars wrote:I also thought Shay had potential. Then she turned out to be a huge sell out (that palm breeze video was so fake and scripted). She's not that great of an actor on PLL, and the acting shows in the videos :? . I have high hopes for Karlie, though... seeing as her bf is one of Instagram's first investors, and she's going to school for coding. She seems serious about entering the tech world and IMO comes off as smart and pretty in touch w/ the internet world.
I like her, but I wish she would stop calling herself a coder. She did a couple of one hour classes while she was promoting them. She has done a lot to promote CS amongst young girls, but she herself is not a programmer. That's a bit insulting and trivializing to actual programmers who put years of work into it. She's never made anything from scratch, the classes she went to had infrastructure set up and just told them what to put in while talking to them about basic concepts. She's also not going to NYU for programming.

pink-panther
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by pink-panther »

So far I've been liking her videos. I used to not like her, always thought she was a bit stuck up, don't know why, but now watching her videos and watching her on Casey's videos, I think she's actually really genuine and not stuck up at all.
I was a bit surprised when I learned that she's interested in programming, I have an IT degree and honestly I hated programming.
And I really hope she doesn't turn into a sell out doing brand advertisements.
Sorry about any grammar mistakes, english is not my first language.

ECH
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ECH »

whatwut wrote:
Eclectic wrote:Yeah Shay's had so much potential but just comes off like she's acting (not well either, for an actor). But Karlie is friends with Casey Neistat and IIRC he helped her set her channel up. I'm sure he's given her a few tips and tricks :)
Yea, I really liked her first video about showing what her life was like. That was cool. I wish she would stop calling herself a coder though, programming for one hour using ruby doesn't exactly make you a programmer.
To be fair, she has taken courses in coding at the Flatiron school and I wouldn't be surprised if she took some computer design courses when she starts at NYU.

Return to “Celebrity”