Brooklyn and Bailey

youtube_obsessed843
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Brooklyn and Bailey

Post by youtube_obsessed843 »

So I just finished watching the new Behind the Braids vlog. It seems like the twins do miss quite a bit of school. If I'm not mistaken they went on their own spring break and then also went on the sponsored trip with Disney. The trips were close together but definitely not back to back, and I think it's safe to say that Baylor spring break is not more than a week long, so they had to have skipped school for the Disney trip. Then Brooklyn went to a fraternity formal in Austin. Now Mindy says she and the twins have a photoshoot that they're coming home for. I'd imagine that their work obligations conflict with their school work, but at the same time, I'm sure they are cut slack from professors due to being in the public eye and having to juggle more than the average student.

Later on in the vlog Mindy goes on a press tour for her new book. Honestly, I was surprised Mindy was invited to go on Strahan and Sara because her book isn't that revolutionary. We all know about the importance of keeping kids safe on the internet. Was it really relevant enough for a Good Morning America segment? Idk. The last leg of the press tour is a book signing in Texas and the whole family goes. Mindy, Sean and all the kids are standing at the front of the audience talking...except Daxton, who's sitting in the front row. I feel bad for Daxton because it seems he's always singled out. You'd think that with all the hype Mindy brings to Austism awareness she would at least try to include him. When we see him in the audience he doesn't look angry, uncomfortable or having a bad moment that Mindy is always talking about. He's just sitting there doing his own thing not paying attention. It seems like he would be perfectly fine to be up at the front with everyone else...

katylr5
Learner
Learner

Post by katylr5 »

I definitely don’t think they have more to juggle than the average college student & I don’t think their professors should be cutting them slack. Many college students work multiple jobs on top of their full-time schedule. They shouldn’t be in college or at least they shouldn’t be taking a full-time credit load if their cushy job is so important.
Honestly, I don’t know why they’re in college. For the content, obviously. Because it’s whats expected of American kids nowadays, sure. But still.
They’re at some river today with their friends. Like. It’s a Tuesday. Go to class. I’m a senior with a full credit load this term, I could only imagine skipping to go to the river

darcyking
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by darcyking »

following

youtube_obsessed843
Gossiper
Gossiper

katylr5 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:48 am
I definitely don’t think they have more to juggle than the average college student & I don’t think their professors should be cutting them slack. Many college students work multiple jobs on top of their full-time schedule. They shouldn’t be in college or at least they shouldn’t be taking a full-time credit load if their cushy job is so important.
Honestly, I don’t know why they’re in college. For the content, obviously. Because it’s whats expected of American kids nowadays, sure. But still.
They’re at some river today with their friends. Like. It’s a Tuesday. Go to class. I’m a senior with a full credit load this term, I could only imagine skipping to go to the river
No I totally agree. I guess what I meant by "more to juggle" is the fact that they are in the public eye and have to fly places for press, go to events, run a business, etc.

DrVanessaPoseidon
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by DrVanessaPoseidon »

katylr5 wrote:I definitely don’t think they have more to juggle than the average college student & I don’t think their professors should be cutting them slack. Many college students work multiple jobs on top of their full-time schedule. They shouldn’t be in college or at least they shouldn’t be taking a full-time credit load if their cushy job is so important.
Today is Baylor’s Diadeloso (Day of the Bear). It’s a Baylor holiday in the spring semester where classes are cancelled for a day. Students and faculty are encouraged to take a break and go have fun. There are activities and entertainment throughout the day on campus. Or you can do whatever you want elsewhere. This is why they are on the river with friends on a Tuesday.

Hoe4Christmas
Informer
Informer

Post by Hoe4Christmas »

jeez are classes still happening?im writing finals (canada). their year is so long from august to may

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lyddiemarie
Informer
Informer

Post by lyddiemarie »

Barely made it through the new video thanks to Bailey. I can't quite put my finger on why she bugs me so much - in this specific case it was probably because she took a couple points that should have gone to Brooklyn and I HATE when people do that to me!
"Doesn't matter - I'm a celebrity!" - James Charles, "MUA"

youtube_obsessed843
Gossiper
Gossiper

lyddiemarie wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:56 pm
Barely made it through the new video thanks to Bailey. I can't quite put my finger on why she bugs me so much - in this specific case it was probably because she took a couple points that should have gone to Brooklyn and I HATE when people do that to me!
Another video with severely dumbed down content. I agree Bailey is annoying. She is absolutely the less mature of the twins and it shows.

Post by Guest »

new thread title: Brooklyn and Bailey: Baylor Brats

iTangerine
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by iTangerine »

I've read half of the thread - I notice you guys don't really mind talking about Mindy in this thread etc. So I wondering, have any of y'all read her book? Not gonna to lie, but that video where Mindy talks about how she feels towards the book due to her sharing personal stories about the kids really peaked my interest. I haven't finished the book. I'm only halfway through & so far I've read only a small handful of personal stories about the children where they haven't shared in videos.

So I want to share some parts of the book (I hope that's alright)

1. Brooklyn & Parker Breakup
For example, Brooklyn had her heart broken when she was unexpectedly dumped by her longtime boyfriend. I wondered that night if she would “angry” text him, but decided to wait and see what she would do. So I monitored her texts via her computer’s iMessage app just in case I needed to intervene. Sure enough, within a few hours a couple of angry texts went out. I immediately went to her room and took her phone away. I knew at the time she was upset and this made her even more frustrated. But I also knew that she was going to continue to send texts, likely increasing in intensity. Brooklyn came back to me later the next day and thanked me for taking her phone away. She said, “It kept me from letting my emotions take control, and texting hurtful words because I hoped he would feel as much pain as I do.” Her ex didn’t deserve that, and it saved her from potential embarrassment as well. We also talked about what a screenshot of her hurtful texts could have meant for her brand. It was a valuable lesson and I’m glad I trusted my gut.
Wonder what she said to him lol While typing this, I was rewatching the video where Brooklyn talks about the break-up. She said in the video that the day they broke up, Mindy took her phone for no reason. Brooklyn says it was a smart idea that she didn’t have her phone so she wouldn’t have texted him anything bad. I guess that was a lie.

2. Rylan breaks the Phone Contract
When Rylan finally got her first cell phone, she read through and agreed to our family cell phone contract. She had the phone for only a few months before she lost her privileges after three serious strikes. Whenever we give our kids their first phone, we anticipate that there will be a few minor infractions and we use these as opportunities to teach and guide them. But with Rylan, the infractions just kept coming on a daily basis. Using her phone past curfew turned into prolonged text messaging when she was supposed to be doing homework. She would also sneak down after she’d gone to bed and take the cell phone from our kitchen counter (where we charge the kids’ phones at night) back to her room and play app games into the night. The final straw was when we spot-checked her text threads and found that she was saying some mean things to a friend of hers. At this point we realized that despite her being the same age as our other kids when receiving her first phone, she was not ready to be responsible for it yet. So we took her phone away for several months.

Rylan knew she’d messed up, and she dealt with it really well. What we realized was that she ended up having much more of an analog summer, like Shaun and I used to have when we were kids with no access to telephones. Back then, we’d go over to our friends’ houses to see if they were available to play with us, and if they weren’t home, we’d troop on back home, and as Rylan put it, “Be bored all day!”

Rylan: “It was kind of annoying over the summer because I always had to go to my mom’s phone to text my friends. If I needed anything when I was out, I would have to beg my friends to let me use their phones. In this neighborhood it’s a mile to walk to my friend’s house, which isn’t that bad, but when I’d ask my mom about it, she’d always be, like, “Go ask her yourself.” I couldn’t text her from my own phone and I don’t have a bike, so I would have to walk or Rollerblade all the way down to her house. But then she wasn’t home that much—she’d be out somewhere with her mom. So I’d have to head all the way back to our house and have nothing to do. I was happy when school started again!” After six months, we had Rylan reread her contract and write a paper on why she felt she deserved her phone back. She gave thoughtful responses, so we decided to return her phone and again set out to determine whether she was ready for the responsibility. And she proceeded to show us that she was!
Context; Rylan was 12 at the time so I don't think it was too bad for her phone being taken away.

3. B&B Phone Curfew
Brooklyn: I used to hate my phone curfew!
Bailey: Me, too!
Brooklyn: The thing that drove me nuts was that in the beginning the phone curfew was like 9 p.m.—but I didn’t often get to sleep before midnight. And then, my outside curfew was 10 p.m., so I couldn’t even use my phone when I was out and that just drove me insane. I could just never use my phone after hours and that used to aggravate me so much, but I’ve gotten more used to it. At least our phone curfew is now 10:30 p.m. It’s just so frustrating, since I also read my books on my phone and I watch TV shows on my phone. There are just, like, so many things that can be done on a phone now. I put my phone down, and I’m, like, what do I do now? [Mindy: The analog mom in me laughs out loud!]
Bailey: When my phone goes away at curfew, I actually go to bed and get some sleep. I like my sleep.
I think this is a bit much, I mean isn’t the main reason to give kids/teens phones is for emergency purposes? Like they get their phone data cut off an hour before their outside curfew. Idk that sounds pretty annoying.

4. B&B didn’t know what a landline phone was
Recently, a company sent us a very cute lip-shaped landline phone. I showed the twins and mentioned that it would be fun to use it in a video as a prop. Bailey promptly picked up the phone and asked Brooklyn to give her a friend’s phone number so she could call her. As I watched incredulously, she dialed the number, and her expression of sheer confusion when the phone didn’t respond with a ringtone was priceless. “Bailey,” I said, “the phone has to be plugged in to work.” She looked at me as if I had two heads. I explained how, back in the olden days, telephones were wired to jacks in the wall because cellular communication networks didn’t exist. Another my-age-is-showing moment for Mom!
^ Thought this was bit funny lol

I guess I shouldn't judge one's parenting style since I'm young & don't have kids. However, from reading the book I personally feel that Mindy is a bit too strict & invading their privacy a bit.

menene
Debater
Debater

Post by menene »

paperbag wrote: new thread title: Brooklyn and Bailey: Baylor Brats
or: Bailey and Bailey

She always needs to make everything about her!

youtube_obsessed843
Gossiper
Gossiper

iTangerine wrote:I've read half of the thread - I notice you guys don't really mind talking about Mindy in this thread etc. So I wondering, have any of y'all read her book? Not gonna to lie, but that video where Mindy talks about how she feels towards the book due to her sharing personal stories about the kids really peaked my interest. I haven't finished the book. I'm only halfway through & so far I've read only a small handful of personal stories about the children where they haven't shared in videos.

For example, Brooklyn had her heart broken when she was unexpectedly dumped by her longtime boyfriend. I wondered that night if she would “angry” text him, but decided to wait and see what she would do. So I monitored her texts via her computer’s iMessage app just in case I needed to intervene. Sure enough, within a few hours a couple of angry texts went out. I immediately went to her room and took her phone away. I knew at the time she was upset and this made her even more frustrated. But I also knew that she was going to continue to send texts, likely increasing in intensity. Brooklyn came back to me later the next day and thanked me for taking her phone away. She said, “It kept me from letting my emotions take control, and texting hurtful words because I hoped he would feel as much pain as I do.” Her ex didn’t deserve that, and it saved her from potential embarrassment as well. We also talked about what a screenshot of her hurtful texts could have meant for her brand. It was a valuable lesson and I’m glad I trusted my gut.
Wonder what she said to him lol While typing this, I was rewatching the video where Brooklyn talks about the break-up. She said in the video that the day they broke up, Mindy took her phone for no reason. Brooklyn says it was a smart idea that she didn’t have her phone so she wouldn’t have texted him anything bad. I guess that was a lie.

When Rylan finally got her first cell phone, she read through and agreed to our family cell phone contract. She had the phone for only a few months before she lost her privileges after three serious strikes. Whenever we give our kids their first phone, we anticipate that there will be a few minor infractions and we use these as opportunities to teach and guide them. But with Rylan, the infractions just kept coming on a daily basis. Using her phone past curfew turned into prolonged text messaging when she was supposed to be doing homework. She would also sneak down after she’d gone to bed and take the cell phone from our kitchen counter (where we charge the kids’ phones at night) back to her room and play app games into the night. The final straw was when we spot-checked her text threads and found that she was saying some mean things to a friend of hers. At this point we realized that despite her being the same age as our other kids when receiving her first phone, she was not ready to be responsible for it yet. So we took her phone away for several months.

Rylan knew she’d messed up, and she dealt with it really well. What we realized was that she ended up having much more of an analog summer, like Shaun and I used to have when we were kids with no access to telephones. Back then, we’d go over to our friends’ houses to see if they were available to play with us, and if they weren’t home, we’d troop on back home, and as Rylan put it, “Be bored all day!”

Rylan: “It was kind of annoying over the summer because I always had to go to my mom’s phone to text my friends. If I needed anything when I was out, I would have to beg my friends to let me use their phones. In this neighborhood it’s a mile to walk to my friend’s house, which isn’t that bad, but when I’d ask my mom about it, she’d always be, like, “Go ask her yourself.” I couldn’t text her from my own phone and I don’t have a bike, so I would have to walk or Rollerblade all the way down to her house. But then she wasn’t home that much—she’d be out somewhere with her mom. So I’d have to head all the way back to our house and have nothing to do. I was happy when school started again!” After six months, we had Rylan reread her contract and write a paper on why she felt she deserved her phone back. She gave thoughtful responses, so we decided to return her phone and again set out to determine whether she was ready for the responsibility. And she proceeded to show us that she was!
Context; Rylan was 12 at the time so I don't think it was too bad for her phone being taken away.

3. B&B Phone Curfew
Brooklyn: The thing that drove me nuts was that in the beginning the phone curfew was like 9 p.m.—but I didn’t often get to sleep before midnight. And then, my outside curfew was 10 p.m., so I couldn’t even use my phone when I was out and that just drove me insane. I could just never use my phone after hours and that used to aggravate me so much, but I’ve gotten more used to it. At least our phone curfew is now 10:30 p.m. It’s just so frustrating, since I also read my books on my phone and I watch TV shows on my phone. There are just, like, so many things that can be done on a phone now. I put my phone down, and I’m, like, what do I do now? [Mindy: The analog mom in me laughs out loud!]
Bailey: When my phone goes away at curfew, I actually go to bed and get some sleep. I like my sleep.
I think this is a bit much, I mean isn’t the main reason to give kids/teens phones is for emergency purposes? Like they get their phone data cut off an hour before their outside curfew. Idk that sounds pretty annoying.

Recently, a company sent us a very cute lip-shaped landline phone. I showed the twins and mentioned that it would be fun to use it in a video as a prop. Bailey promptly picked up the phone and asked Brooklyn to give her a friend’s phone number so she could call her. As I watched incredulously, she dialed the number, and her expression of sheer confusion when the phone didn’t respond with a ringtone was priceless. “Bailey,” I said, “the phone has to be plugged in to work.” She looked at me as if I had two heads. I explained how, back in the olden days, telephones were wired to jacks in the wall because cellular communication networks didn’t exist. Another my-age-is-showing moment for Mom!

I guess I shouldn't judge one's parenting style since I'm young & don't have kids. However, from reading the book I personally feel that Mindy is a bit too strict & invading their privacy a bit.
Omg thank you for sharing this! It’s making me want to read the book because it seems there are bits and pieces we don’t know from videos. I found all of those examples to be a bit much. First of all, the Rylan part is ridiculous. Having her write a PAPER on why she deserves her phone back?? That’s not parenting... it’s called being a drill sergeant. Not to mention it makes Mindy and Sean look like they encourage submissive behavior, when meanwhile we live in a world where women are taken advantage of and young girls need to learn to be tough and driven. A phone contract also seems rather harsh. Maybe I’m just in post-grad job hunting mode right now and maybe with 6 kids you might need that type of thing, but running your kids’ social lives like a business seems unhealthy to me. I totally get holding kids accountable but the word “contract” implies some serious stuff. What will the “contract” be when Daxton is of age to have a cell phone? Obviously he doesn’t handle situations like the rest of the kids and I don’t see him functioning well with more rules than he already has. I don’t have kids, but to me, cell phones are a safety thing across the board. Kids and adults. Imagine taking a phone away from your child for punishment reasons, only to discover days later that they are in an emergency situation and could have benefited from having it. Idk seems wrong to me.

The part about Brooklyn’s breakup irks me. The kids are given zero privacy. Why does Mindy even have access to Brooklyn’s iMessages in any capacity? My parents always read my texts and IM messages when they got the chance, but those were the times I was stupid enough to leave my phone or computer laying around. Kids, teenagers especially, deal with things their own ways. There’s a cycle to the system and things work themselves out. Mindy is just obsessed with maintaining the twins’ image and they are brainwashed enough to believe anything she says is truly what’s best for them. How can they even develop relationships if Mindy is so heavily involved? I would have been so embarrassed to have my mom hovering around in my personal life.

123xyz
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by 123xyz »

^I thought the same about the Brooklyn breakup. It's a massive invasion of privacy to read and monitor all of your children's messages like that. That is a massive breach in trust. Also, I think it's awful that Mindy wrote about Parker in her book. Unless she had permission from Parker himself, she has no business exposing someone who clearly doesn't want to be in the spotlight or in the McKnights "fame" he's very hidden and private on social media, and was reluctant to be in their videos. They keep mentioning him and it's quite rude since he isn't in the spotlight. Asa is another story since his whole family is famous and good lord he wants the fame more than Bailey does lol

I think the phone curfew is ridiculous for the twins. They're adults in college. Additionally, it doesn't sound safe to not have phone use when they're out at night. It's bizarre that their phone curfew is before their real curfew. They also have a surprisingly early curfew.

lmmomSD

Post by lmmomSD »

iTangerine wrote:I've read half of the thread - I notice you guys don't really mind talking about Mindy in this thread etc. So I wondering, have any of y'all read her book? Not gonna to lie, but that video where Mindy talks about how she feels towards the book due to her sharing personal stories about the kids really peaked my interest. I haven't finished the book. I'm only halfway through & so far I've read only a small handful of personal stories about the children where they haven't shared in videos.

3. B&B Phone Curfew

I just think it's hilarious that someone who got rich exploiting her kids and putting them put there on the internet for any pervert to ogle wrote a book about "keeping your kids safe".
What a joke.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ItsAndrew
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by ItsAndrew »

So Brooklyn and Bailey, who are now in college, STILL have a phone curfew? What? When your kids reach college, you need to just let go and give them complete freedom. I wonder if she cuts off the data while they are at school too. So weird.

youtube_obsessed843
Gossiper
Gossiper

ItsAndrew wrote:So Brooklyn and Bailey, who are now in college, STILL have a phone curfew? What? When your kids reach college, you need to just let go and give them complete freedom. I wonder if she cuts off the data while they are at school too. So weird.
I’d go ahead and assume the Viral Parenting book also has a part about tracking your kids. Mindy definitely monitors them while they’re at school. I know lots of parents who do and I understand it’s a safety thing but Mindy probably takes advantage of it to helicopter parent her adult twins.

Post by Guest »

123xyz wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:24 am
^I thought the same about the Brooklyn breakup. It's a massive invasion of privacy to read and monitor all of your children's messages like that. That is a massive breach in trust. Also, I think it's awful that Mindy wrote about Parker in her book. Unless she had permission from Parker himself, she has no business exposing someone who clearly doesn't want to be in the spotlight or in the McKnights "fame" he's very hidden and private on social media, and was reluctant to be in their videos. They keep mentioning him and it's quite rude since he isn't in the spotlight. Asa is another story since his whole family is famous and good lord he wants the fame more than Bailey does lol

I think the phone curfew is ridiculous for the twins. They're adults in college. Additionally, it doesn't sound safe to not have phone use when they're out at night. It's bizarre that their phone curfew is before their real curfew. They also have a surprisingly early curfew.
Wait, they have a phone curfew still, at college?! :rofl:

Edit to add: just seen the latest B&B video and wow, Bailey squeals so much. Brooklyn seems to speak with a much lower pitch these days, and generally comes off seeming more mature.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

opangatay
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by opangatay »

emmer_mo wrote:
delete23xyz wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:24 am

Wait, they have a phone curfew still, at college?! :rofl:

Did she confirm that it’s still a thing or was that written long enough ago that it would have been in high school? Having a phone curfew in college honestly sounds more dangerous than anything. I don’t care how holy or good B&B are, college students stay out late and get into shenanigans. It’s one thing in high school, especially if they had to get up super early for.. something bible related I don’t remember.. but how does a phone curfew even work in college? Why wouldn’t B&B get their own phone plan at this point. They could be fullllly financially independent at this point, could probably build a house or two EACH like it’s nothing, but they’re still on the family phone plan at 19 while away in college? How hidden away is the income from everything the twins do? Again, it makes sense in high school to stash that money away, but they’re adults now (still young “dumb” college kids but my point still stands to a degree).

blacksheep95
Informer
Informer

Post by blacksheep95 »

Thanks for posting! I've been curious to see what all the fuss was about after Mindy uploaded that video of her bawling in the car because the book was so revealing.

Mindy sounds like Big Brother. I'm so thankful my parents respected my privacy and never read my text messages. Sure, you can do stupid stuff as a teenager, but you grow and learn. I wouldn't be surprised if the girls all have finstas to avoid their mom's preying. Over-controlling usually yields the opposite effect.

The Rylan thing I sort of get because at 12 you still don't need a phone,though the contract does sound ott.

During my high school years, my mom would unplug the wifi at 11pm. I used to hate it but looking back I'm so thankful because I know otherwise I would've stayed up all night several times. But to continue doing it all the way through college I think is beyond ridiculous. And yeah, if they are outside they should have a working phone with them in case of an emergency.
I should probably be working...

Hoe4Christmas
Informer
Informer

Post by Hoe4Christmas »

holy shit bailey is so annoying i wish brooklyn would just make her own channel i really like her

Return to “Brooklyn and Bailey”