honeydripper
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Moisturiser Recommendations?

Post by honeydripper »

Hi ladies,

I have been using Nivea's Pure and Natural moisturising cream for sensitive skin for the past two years now (before that it was Nivea Q10) and recently I have been having to reapply it throughout the day 2/3 extra times because my skin has become so dry. I thought it would be best to exfoliate more but my skin is still super dry. :( I decided that I need a more concentrated moisturiser for my face but no idea on where to start..

Do you have any products that have really helped that you could recommend?

redrobin1017
Debater
Debater

Re: Moisturiser Recommendations?

Post by redrobin1017 »

I still use a scrub just because I like to although my Dermatologist once told me that it does nothing but irritate your skin as dead skin cells will slough off on their own. A chemical exfoliant really does wonders for skin though, since I've been using glycolic acid peels my skin has been so much better.

Also, I would recommend using oil in the evenings, just 100% any type, they're cheap and you can see which works for you, if you don't like it just use it in your hair as a mask or something :P Then if you're still looking for a heavy-duty moisturizer, Lancome Nutrix works wonders (and isn't too expensive). I find it a bit too thick to use properly under make-up, however, and it's very similar to zinc oxide cream (as both have high white vaseline concentrations) and that may not work too well with your skin. I find when I use oil in the evenings my skin can handle a lighter moisturizer by day though.

Also look at using a different face wash, like Pond's cold cream or any other thick cream cleanser (although I personally like Purpose Face Wash to remove make-up, derms recommend Cetaphil as well but I found it didn't remove make-up as well as the other two). Basically it's about not using harsh products on your skin; and to find what works for your skin.

If you have dry/sensitive skin I would try to stick to as simple products as possible, and also wait it out a while. When you're skin is adapting to new products it can take up to 6 weeks (or even longer) before you notice something working. Many products will make your skin worse before they make them better (like retinol and heavy-duty scrubs). :)

whoawhoawhoa

Post by whoawhoawhoa »

la roche posay cicaplast

AnninEngland
Informer
Informer

Post by AnninEngland »

honeydripper wrote:Hi ladies,

I have been using Nivea's Pure and Natural moisturising cream for sensitive skin for the past two years now (before that it was Nivea Q10) and recently I have been having to reapply it throughout the day 2/3 extra times because my skin has become so dry. I thought it would be best to exfoliate more but my skin is still super dry. :( I decided that I need a more concentrated moisturiser for my face but no idea on where to start..

Do you have any products that have really helped that you could recommend?
Avon make a really good range for super dry skin which I found very helpful.

Also, before using a moisturiser day or evening, use some pure organic maracuja oil. I saw a bit of Tarte on QVC but it was really expensive so bought mine on Amazon. Works like a charm.

I would investigate the reasons for the dryness too. My skin suddenly became very very dry. After about a year I discovered that I had an under-active thyroid. Once I started on meds the dry skin virtually disappeared. I have continued with the maracuja oil and the extra moisturiser, though.

honeydripper
Learner
Learner

Post by honeydripper »

Thank you for your replies!

redrobin - I was just about to ask you what you meant by 'oil' but it has been clarified by AnninEngland. :P I will also take a look at zinc oxide cream, as I have never used it before. I use Pond's Cold Cream to remove makeup - although it sometimes feels a bit greasy but is nothing too harsh. I agree, I will keep my small routine simple. Thanks! :)

AnninEngland - I have never used maracuja oil before (or any type of oil, to be fair) so I think this may be the next step for me. I think the extra dryness may be caused by the change in the weather (the heating is always on at work and dries me out like nobodies business). My skin was never this bad in the winter so I'll attribute it to the heating. Thanks! :)

redrobin1017
Debater
Debater

Post by redrobin1017 »

Oops, sorry! I personally use almond oil at the moment, but I also have macadamia, jojoba, olive, argan, coconut and some other oils. I use the 100% pure ones, and I love the idea that they don't have all the other ingredients that creams have and that might do more harm than good (you never know nowadays sadly..) Many people swear by a certain type of oil though; I like to switch it up every so often, but I mainly stick to almond as the others have better uses for other areas of the body/hair :D

What I also like to do when I put oil on is to massage it into my face, always feels nice and the extra blood flow from massage doesn't hurt ^^

honeydripper
Learner
Learner

Post by honeydripper »

^ Thank you so much! I will definitely have a try at adding an oil into my routine in the evenings - first stop, almond oil! :)

onigiri815
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by onigiri815 »

La Roshe Posay has great moisturisers for dry skin and Rosehip Oil is a saviour too!

honeydripper
Learner
Learner

Post by honeydripper »

^ Thank you - I've heard great things about Rosehip Oil so I'll definitely give it a look in! :)

(I would thank you for this but my 'thanks' button has gone :/)

onigiri815
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by onigiri815 »

Oh thats odd I cant see a thank button either... thats okay :)
What I would suggest is also getting either Mac Fix + or a Thermal Water. Lightly spritz your face before applying the oil as it gives it a bit more slip and will hydrate even better. You could also do it fresh from washing your face as it will still be damp but I honestly find thermal water to be more effective as it doesn't have the nasties tap water does.

hollaatmegurl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by hollaatmegurl »

Another oil suggestion is emu oil. I use it for my stretched ears and when I read about how good it is for skin, I started using it on my face, too. It's really moisturizing and it's a great healing oil (which is why I use it on my stretched ears to keep em healthy) so it helps with irritation and junk. I read about some ~study~ that was done and *apparently* (I haven't looked into it that much tbh) it thickens the skin so it's good for wrinkles and all those shenanigans.

mychelle+
Informer
Informer

Post by mychelle+ »

I absolutely love the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream

yteri
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by yteri »

Neutrogena Deep Moisture Comfort Balm. Technically it's a body lotion but it says you can use it for your face. It's a dream and really moisturising on my face. I only use it on my face though, don't really know why I haven't tried on my body. Plus if you work it out by ml its really cheap, you get 200ml for £4 but you use only a tiny bit at a time. Even under my eyes is really nice so that saves me having to get a separate eye cream, for eyes though it doesn't do anything in the way of getting rid of dark circles it just moistures. Afterwards my skin is really glowy and hydrated.

Saely
Learner
Learner

Post by Saely »

I agree with all the usage of oil. :) It really helps keep away dry skin flakes if done regularly.

My favorite moisturizer is the MISSHA Super Aqua Ultra Waterfull Cream. It's a heavy moisturizer for the face but it doesn't feel heavy. Its key ingredient is baobab seed extract. I don't need to use a lot for it to cover my face.

canyounot24
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by canyounot24 »

Simple Kind to Skin light moisturizer

Return to “Skincare”