Em Cosmetics Part 3 | Split from L’Oréal & IPSY

loref85
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Em Cosmetics Part 3 | Split from L’Oréal

Post by loref85 »

^ Is there another source for this? I'm not saying mishbunny is not reliable, is it possible that em is not even worth a page in the news? :rofl:
My English is not bad, it simply doesn't exist :)

Chiyou
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Chiyou »

loref85 wrote:^ Is there another source for this? I'm not saying mishbunny is not reliable, is it possible that em is not even worth a page in the news? :rofl:
the source is linked in the mishbunny article, but I'll link it here too:

http://wwd.com/beauty-industry-news/bea ... -10259153/

Pollywogs
Learner
Learner

Post by Pollywogs »

So does this mean that Ipsy bags in the future will most likely have Em products in them? If so, it's a clever way to get rid of all that unsold stock, but to be honest I have

Pollywogs
Learner
Learner

Post by Pollywogs »

So does this mean that Ipsy bags in the future will most likely have Em products in them? If so, it's a clever way to get rid of all that unsold stock, we already know that Em has been spotted in outlet stores at a discounted price. To be honest I have been considering trying out Ipsy, but with this news I'm definitely NOT biting the bullet. Em is a brand I truly don't want to try out and I personally see it as a rip-off to just fill up Ipsy bags with it's products- seems like a last ditch effort to at least get the brand's name out there.

Having said that, I DO look forward to seeing the monthly Ipsy videos of people receiving Em products and (hopefully) trying them out/swatching on camera. It'll be interesting to see peoples' opinion of the brand, especially if they've never heard of it before or aren't Phanny-kissers. :tu:

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

Well, when was the last time they came up with new products? When was the last time Michelle made a video for em? The last time the official Em channel was active was 2 months ago.

Other luxury brands produce new products every season. I mean we all know how makeup obsession works; your favourite brand produces a new collection with a specific theme, and EVERYONE drools over it. They hype the item with their creative marketing, their artistic investment in selling the product, and that means coming up with photoshoots of flawless looks using the new products. Ilamasqua does it particularly well, in my opinion; they're luxury makeup for your alter ego literally.

Em just made a whole lot of unflattering palettes with shitty pigmentation and never updated. The high price meant that they had trouble selling it. And Michelle never has conceptual photo shoot.

You notice how Michelle never goes to IMATS? How strange is it that the top makeup guru on Youtube has never attended an IMATS event for even a guest appearance? I also doubt if Em is sold at IMATS.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did stuff the next Ipsy bags with leftover stock. Michelle is going to bankrupt herself trying to make Em work; L'oreal cut the cord because the investment wasn't worth it. If she doesn't work harder at marketing Em, if she sticks to her current model of business, she's going to fail hard.

snuffy777
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by snuffy777 »

On Yahoo's front page:

"L’Oréal Sells Michelle Phan's Beauty Line Back to Her" :lol:

http://www.racked.com/2015/10/12/950548 ... phan-split

takoyaki
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by takoyaki »

From the articles it looked like Michelle wanted to keep the price high and have it as a lux line. Probably talked herself up. I find it hard to believe that a big company like L'oreal didn't do their research and find that the makeup was too expensive. Michelle had to have convinced them otherwise and now it's being sold to Ipsy so Michelle can keep the prices up to what she thinks is her level.

fihe
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by fihe »

Michelle's greatest mistake with Em is that she tried creating a line of "luxury" products that not only was out of financial reach for her main customer base, but also does not at all look "luxury". Luxury makeup, to me, is about the product quality, packaging, and marketing, and none of those qualities from Em meet the criteria for high-end. I really think she would have been much more successful if she had tried selling it at a drugstore budget, with prices similar to those at Colourpop or BH Cosmetics.

I own almost exclusively drugstore products (besides my little Benefit sampler set, every higher-end product I own I got for free) because I find the quality to be good enough for my needs, and don't see the need to spend much money on a non-essential product, but just looking at those Em products, it doesn't seem any more worthy of my money than something from Maybelline or Revlon.

Srsly
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Srsly »

Super late to the party on this one but EM will certainly make an interesting case study. After the failure of the store I suspected this relationship wouldn't last very long, from the beginning it seems L'Oreal realised they had gotten it completely wrong and that you can't simply rely on the popularity of a big Youtuber.

In older videos the L'Oreal team always referred to the line as a project and there is no mention of the brand on any of companies financial reports over the last 3-4 years. Never quite understood their positioning, what was EM's signature? Who exactly was the target market supposed to be? What on earth were they thinking with that awful packaging? Why did it take long periods of time to restock products...although the answer to this seems pretty obvious now. So many questions.

switchgirl
Informer
Informer

Post by switchgirl »

Looks like Michelle is in Hong Kong working on the rebirth of Em.

Source: Snapchat @hellodreamer

handmadedolly
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by handmadedolly »

switchgirl wrote:Looks like Michelle is in Hong Kong working on the rebirth of Em.

I believe none of the products are going to be the same, I doubt L'Oreal sold her the formulas as they were mostly repackaged items from their own collection. They probably only gave her the brand name/logo and that's it. She's probably investing a lot of her own money into this which is amazing to me because it's going to flop just as hard as it did the first time. She never learns...

amuto_lover
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by amuto_lover »

Yes I was wondering if they sold her the formula as well. Good for her if she's able to turn it around but I bet it isn't Michelle that's actually making the decisions. Someone's probably saying lets do this and that and Michelle just sits there and nods her head.

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

If she invests her own money in this, and it flops again, she could lose money.

switchgirl
Informer
Informer

Post by switchgirl »

You guys think she'll keep the whole em is a luxury product at luxury prices?

switchgirl
Informer
Informer

Post by switchgirl »

[video][/video]

It looks like she is meeting with a packaging vendor which means... no more dollar store inspired palettes!

This is exciting to follow.

amuto_lover
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by amuto_lover »

People were telling her the packaging was ugly the moment it came out :rofl:
Michelle: I lied this was my true vision for the packaging L'Oreal held a gun to my head and made me choose the ugly black on white packaging.

Srsly
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Srsly »

switchgirl wrote:You guys think she'll keep the whole em is a luxury product at luxury prices?
Doubt it. The line was sold to Ipsy and Marcelo Camberos unlike Michelle, understands business development, branding and how to create a profitable business. I look forward to seeing the 'rebirth' of EM.

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

switchgirl wrote:[video][/video]

It looks like she is meeting with a packaging vendor which means... no more dollar store inspired palettes!

This is exciting to follow.

Oh God, I can see her making her own perfume and marketing it as inspiration in a bottle or some sappy shit. Can you imagine??? :rofl:

luvey
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by luvey »

i'm wondering if she will try to go with a korean style of packaging.

Fairwind
Learner
Learner

Post by Fairwind »

I'm guessing that she still wants to keep her product as a luxury considering that she went to the most expert company in luxury cosmetic packaging. Did she even consider her target markets really are? Or just really concern about her whole image will go down if she launches her products cheaper than when she was with L'Oreal?

Return to “Michelle Phan”