Late period...?

kayleighrawrz
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Late period...?

Post by kayleighrawrz »

Hey ladies, so my period has been late for almost a week now. It's really stressing me out because I keep getting cramps (I'm off school today because they're so bad) but no period. Any tips on how to stop stressing about it? I'm 15 and I'm not pregnant.

Clemence
Debater
Debater

Re: Late period...?

Post by Clemence »

Don't worry about it =)! I have late periods many times ( I started having late ones when I was 15, I'm 19 now) and when I mean late, I mean like a month or 2 late! I skip months every now and then. At first I was concerned (I knew I wasn't pregnant) because I thought it might be a health issue...so I went to see a doctor. She told me it's completely normal to skip and start late ^^. And sometimes I get cramps like 2 weeks before I end up starting! Also since you are experiencing cramps I'm pretty sure you'll start soon.
I suggest taking it easy and drink something warm (like heated milk or tea) to sooth your cramps. Also medicine like Midol and even Tyelnol helps too. And if you still don't start and you just can't get it off your mind, you should see your school nurse ^^.

muh00r
Informer
Informer

Post by muh00r »

Lots of factors can cause your period to be late, and because you're so young it's common for your cycles to be irregular. Don't stress out about it! An "average" cycle is 28 days, but they can easily go for shorter or longer.

Meowface
Talker
Talker

Post by Meowface »

If you are 15 your periods might not have settled into a pattern yet. Don't worry about it. Sometimes stress will stop it, just try and relax and drink hot drinks however try and do gentle exercise because that does lessen cramps :)

hollaatmegurl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by hollaatmegurl »

Don't worry about it. A week late is no big deal, and since you're young, your cycles are going to be off a bit most times. I'm almost 19 and have had my period since I was 11 and even now my periods are never perfect or completely on schedule. :D

MiniMimi
Learner
Learner

Post by MiniMimi »

The more you worry, the more it can mess up your cycle (and sometimes it may not come at all!) I used to get 2 periods a month sometimes...and more recently back in June I had a pregnancy scare...peed on a stick - it was negative, and it came THE DAY AFTER...haha. But now mine are like clockwork, so just make sure you're eating/sleeping normally and don't worry about it.

BrunetteBarbie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by BrunetteBarbie »

Some people's periods never settle properly, I only have them every few months. Everyone is different, so try not to worry too much!

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

Some people have their period every 2-3 months, I've had months were I don't get my period and it is perfectly normal cause you're a teenager.

Rory0425
Gossiper
Gossiper

Late period

Post by Rory0425 »

Hi everyone...so my period is eight days late. I have been sexually active but my boyfriend always uses a condom. I'm going to see my ob/gyn in October to discuss going on birth control. I was supposed to go last week but I was sick.

I've always had an irregular cycle and plus I've been sick on and off since late August. First I had an upper respiratory infection, then a sinus/ear infection. I've been on antibiotics and other meds on and off since then and just finished them last week. Could that play a role in my cycle being late?

My boyfriend always checks the condoms afterwards to make sure that nothing has broken and so far, so good. :) Could my being sick (as well as having an already irregular cycle) be the reason?

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Re: Late period

Post by Diorette »

Sure :) sometimes I don't even get my period in a month, but better go with your doctor.

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

Yeah, being sick or stressed can definitely make your period late. I wouldn't worry too much, considering he checks the condoms afterward. I'd suggest combining condoms with the pill, diaphragm, or another method of birth control in the future, though. You can never be too safe. ;)

whoa

Post by whoa »

It is probably stress, but if you want to be sure go get a cheap pregnancy test just to calm your nerves a bit.

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

Don't worry, sometimes it happens. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't gotten mine yet either and I'm about a week overdue.

ohhaii
Informer
Informer

Post by ohhaii »

as long as you arent expiriencing any pregnancy symptoms (morning sickness/muscle aches/ tenderness in your boobs) you should be alright. never hurts to take a pregnancy test if you are stressing about it!

Rory0425
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Rory0425 »

I'm in my 30s and my period still isn't normal! I began charting them once again in July and in August I was four days late. Now my boyfriend and I have been sexually active and I'm 11 days late. Yet I was also on antibiotics twice - at the very end of August and again in mid-September - so being sick could definitely affect one's cycle. Still haven't peed on a stick yet, lol...hoping my cycle will start up soon.

I've heard that a woman's cycle can range from 28 days up to 40 days apart! I've even heard of 50 days apart...yikes!

Rory0425
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Rory0425 »

I finally bit the proverbial bullet last night. While out shopping with my best friend, I bought a home preg. test. I took the first one at my friend's house around 8 pm and it was negative. I took another one this morning, around 4:30 am (woke up, had to go, figured it was the perfect time, lol) and it too was negative. Going to see the ob/gyn on Monday to talk about birth control options. In the past when my period was crazy (my dr. calls it "cranky") she would give me something to take to jump start my cycle, then have me start on the birth control.

My boyfriend and I have decided not to "fool around" (lol) until I'm on the pill. I told him we should probably wait a couple of weeks because my body has to get used to the pill too.

Decayedbeauty
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Decayedbeauty »

You should be protected by the pill after one week, but some people still use back up protection up to a month before going without a condom.

Yes medications can mess up your cycle too, antibiotics are bad about that.

Rory0425
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Rory0425 »

I went to my dr. today. She figures that if the two home pregnancy tests came back negative then I'm okay. She drew blood to check hormone levels and prescribed both Provera (to jump start my period) and Loestrin (bc pill.) She told me that she's not prescribing Yazmin anymore because of concerns with blood clots. My dr. is very pro-active about stuff like that; she also won't give the patch to any patients because of health concerns as well.

Return to “Period Care”