I can't get rid of things it's a big problem lol

idonteven
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How long do you keep clothes?

Post by idonteven »

I have a semi hard time getting rid of clothes. I'll try and go through my closet every few months. I saw a video on facebook awhile back where a girl got rid of all her clothes that she didn't wear within a month, or something crazy like that. My thing is that I work a typical 9-5 office job and have a lot more clothes that I wouldn't wear to work and that I'm only able to wear 2 days out of the week.

I have been trying to be more conscious of what I buy and asking myself "do i really need this?" When I'm in the mood to shop I'll hit up some thrift stores that way I don't feel guilty.

avarose5998
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by avarose5998 »

a few years if good

jessasteel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jessasteel »

I usually thow stuff out if I haven't worn it in 2 seasons X:
I tried killing a spider with glitter body spray, now it won't stop stripping & I have to call it Cinnamon.

Post by Guest »

I only get rid of clothes if they're now too loose or too tight on me, I'm not one to follow trends.

achlys
Talker
Talker

Post by achlys »

I keep clothes for as long as they're in wearable condition. I still have some tops from high school that I wear sometimes because they're classic pieces.

scrantonstrangler888
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by scrantonstrangler888 »

Quality over quantity. I try to buy really high quality things then hang on to them forever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLAHscent
Learner
Learner

Post by BLAHscent »

I rarely buy clothes.
Last year i started buying second hand clothes.
i usually keep and wear them until I can't stand seeing them or they can't be worn anymore.
I recently had to give up a pair of silk trousers that I had for at least a decade. Somehow the fabric slashed in the butt area, and I don't recall sitting on anything rough ... i might re-use some the fabric though.
I blog @ [url=http://obscurejourney.com/]ObscureJourney.com[/url] at least monthly.
Please go check my other site as well, obscureoblige.over-blog.com. Thank you. <3

tar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tar »

This might help. On their website scroll down to bottom of the page, click on help, then delivery issues, the last sentence there is a
link for my shipment can’t be located. I would send them an email and they can probably at least point you in the right direction.

I hate if any kind of package is lost. Let us know if you get any results. :love2:

Zoi_000
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Zoi_000 »

Clothes is my favourite topic

Mischief

Post by Mischief »

I try to have a rule if I don't wear it within a year I either get rid of it or donate depending on how worn it is. I know some people do the hanger trick to keep track so all the hangers face one direction when you organize. When you wear an item turn around the hanger the opposite direction then in a year pull out all the items on the hangers never turned.
And so I cry sometimes when I'm lying in bed...Just to get it all out, what's in my head...And I, I am feeling a little peculiar...And so I wake in the morning and I step outside...And I take a deep breath and I get real high...And I scream from the top of my lungs..."What's going on?"...

Selia11
Debater
Debater

Post by Selia11 »

I kinda have a rule for getting rid of clothes: if that piece has been sitting in my closet for a long time (doesn’t matter if it’s old or still new) it’s better for it to go to someone who would love and wear it. I’d usually donate or give them to my nieces if they are still not worn.

Areba21
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Areba21 »

I believe it would be more challenging for women. Men's fashion doesn't vary all that much, and I wouldn't look out of place at any time after WWII if I hopped into a time machine. I've had my Austrian tanker boots for 15 years, but if I cared about them being scuffed, I'd have tossed them years ago. I don't buy the most expensive items; instead, I buy well-made items (I mostly wear Levi's 511s, work shirts, and flannel). I don't like to think about what I'm going to wear.

It's worth it if you want to invest in high-quality basics in neutral hues and wear the same outfit all the time. However, if you worry about staying fashionable, I would opt for more throwaway items.

dewdrop1
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by dewdrop1 »

I don't buy a lot of clothes and the ones I do I wear them as long as they fit and their color looks good. I don't like wearing faded clothes specially anything in navy or black.

stellacook
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by stellacook »

I have my father's leather jacket which is almost 15 years old. Leather clothing can last you a lifetime with proper care and maintenance. I recommend cleaning and conditioning your leather items at least once a year to keep them looking new and fresh. Additionally, storing your leather clothes in a breathable fabric or a garment bag will help protect them from dust, dirt, and moisture.

leavesandtwigs
Talker
Talker

Post by leavesandtwigs »

It depends on what the clothing is. Cheap/poorly made clothes usually don't make it more than a year before I'm tired of the way they feel or they become defective in some way. I don't buy a lot of these any more. Just a few "trendy" items to keep things fresh. Usually pants and jeans cycle every couple of years, due to increased wear and tear and the difficulty in finding and maintaining a good fit. Higher-quality items, such as real wool sweaters/cardigans, work pants (Wrangler Riggs), vintage pieces, and leather/suede jackets will stay in my wardrobe for years. And seeing as I'm a knitter, I have some hand-knit items that I'll hold on to forever.

lisanclark
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by lisanclark »

I go through my wardrobe twice in a year. I still have clothes from many years and they are in a good condition right now as I frequently clean those clothes because some of them are really my favorite.

Stewered
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Stewered »

Set an expiration date for the items in your closet. If you live in a four-season climate and you haven't worn a piece of clothing in a year, it's probably time to single fitted sheet it. And if you live in a one- or two-season climate, then you likely should let go of something you haven't worn in the past six months.

ElenorShaw
Lurker
Lurker

Post by ElenorShaw »

I keep my clothes until they show signs of wear and tear or these are no longer in style, or no longer fit properly.

Return to “Fashion Discussion”