Panacea81 / Lauren Luke

pinksims
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Panacea81 / Lauren Luke

Post by pinksims »

Lauren appears to be suffering from depression, based on that Facebook post from July. She's indicating that the companies that she was working with made her feel that way. I would speculate that she's been dropped in some way and the company that was managing her or creating the makeup lines have ended their contract with her. Her website, which used to be where the makeup products were sold from, just redirects to her Youtube site now. My guess is that she was not selling much and the company were losing money on her products - that's just a guess, I don't have any evidence.

I also think Lauren continued to suffer with self-confidence problems when promoting the products and appearing on TV. She clearly finds it all very nerve racking, and it's possible that her non-showbiz demeanour doesn't sell products very well. Considering the types of Youtubers who are selling makeup and other products now, Lauren isn't very marketable because she isn't pretty enough, despite being a really great person - this is one of the sad things about the world of business. People like Zoella are young and pretty - Lauren represents more of a 'real' person. I think her initial audience were lovers of makeup, but now makeup tutorials are ten a penny on Youtube, and there's too much competition.

I really hope she comes back in some form though! Her Twitter account seems to be active: https://twitter.com/panacea81

NicolinaSurel
Learner
Learner

Post by NicolinaSurel »

I know this is a dead thread, but it makes me extremely happy to see that her less than one page trash thread is more positive than some of the bigger gurus' rave threads. She was my first guru, too. All the way back to Mac Shadestick in Shark Skin. Her brushes were actually my first set, and they came with a really sweet personalized card. I hope she is doing well. :love2:
No one needs that much under-eye concealer

Clover la BonBon
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Clover la BonBon »

What has happened to Lauren?

youtubeisfun
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by youtubeisfun »

Lauren posted a makeup tutorial today! It's kind of terrible, but it was great to see her!

poshbird
Informer
Informer

Post by poshbird »

what happened to her teeth?

EveryJuan
Informer
Informer

Post by EveryJuan »

poshbird wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:50 pm
what happened to her teeth?
Her veneers that she got 10 years ago have shifted. Pretty terrible considering how expensive veneers are. Seems like they shifted during her break from youtube between 2014-2016.

loverlada
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by loverlada »

Her Q&A video comes off as just being upset about money to me. I feel like her shelf life was small, and would have faded anyways regardless. I feel like she’s under the impression she would be living like Jaclyn Hill or something right now.

auntiflo13

Post by auntiflo13 »

Wow, her teeth look awful. I can't believe she was only paid £5000 for her palette release. We think that Nikkietutorials was short changed at only getting $50,000 through TwoFaced!

I found Lauren's makeup looks 'achievable' - you didn't need to have amazing blending techniques to copy her.

However, a few years away from youtube have been her downfall. Her filming quality is so poor on her return and she seems so disorganised. She's also using really old makeup which can't be a good thing - especially those tubes of MAC paints. I found a blog post from 2015 where a blogger went into a MAC store to get the tubes of eye paint and the assistant told her that MAC had discontinued them years ago - so goodness knows how old Lauren's tubes are ....maybe over 10 year's old?

Another thing she's done is put a Paypal account up for her to be able to buy newer makeup for her channel. I'm not being funny or anything but, Lauren was at one time, quite well off ...and it sounds like she was silly with money by buying a house she couldn't afford (she went back to renting). Other youtubers have had to buy lots of products to get their channels up and running and didn't get 'hand outs' from subscribers. Lauren still has 500k subscribers and people will still be watching her old videos. According to social blade, she's still getting up to £200 a month for her old videos and she's working full time as an assistant manager. Her son is an adult now so Lauren no longer has a 'dependant'. It also seems that her bf lives with her so why can't she afford to buy a few products every month? Plus, if her channel gains momentum again, she will be flooded with PR

Her subscribers are saying that they want Shane Dawson to get involved and record a series on Lauren. I don't think Shane likes flying and he wouldn't come to the UK ...he barely made it through a one hour flight during the Jeffree series. Lauren suffers with her mental health - so, if she did become 'youtube famous' again ....she would probably vanish again for a few years

I do like Lauren's personality but, I think she should've waited before coming back to Youtube - she really needed to build up her makeup collection again first and hone her skills. Watching her struggle trying to stick glitter to her eyes made me cringe. The only thing she has was some eyelash glue that had gone off ....and she said it was too expensive to go out and buy (it's £5!). She could've just used a lipbalm or a tiny bit of vaseline for the purpose of the video......

Only time will tell if she's back for good as she has a habit of uploading two or three videos and then vanishing again !
Stay home, stay safe & keep healthy <3

Star07
Learner
Learner

Post by Star07 »

Eh even social media stars who are well off ask their supporters for money/‘gifts’, so I don’t think it’s a big deal that Lauren’s doing it.

Regarding her break from YouTube etc. after watching her Q&A, I think it’ll do her well to go to therapy so she can work through all that went on during that time and after, as she’s clearly still struggling.

Anyway I only wish her the best and I really do think she’ll gain her popularity back again because she’s such a likeable person who’s also relatable. Might not be for her makeup skills but maybe more the lifestyle/everyday life side of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

auntiflo13

Post by auntiflo13 »

Lauren is winding me up a bit now. Many weeks ago she was complaining that she'd lost a lot of her brushes in the various house moves. So, she's been sent a lot from Real Techniques, Blank Canvas comsetics and a few other brands. Lo and behold, she has discovered ALL her Givenchy and MAC brushes! hmmmmm !

People have sent her boxes full of makeup but, she's barely used any of the products sent to her. She's been out and bought various bits and bobs. But, it's winding me up when she's saying she wanted Glossier or Fenty creme blushers but, they're out of her 'price range' (hint hint!) and she's had to buy Maybelline!

auntiflo13

Post by auntiflo13 »

She's suddenly 'found' all her makeup now people have been donating to her for the last couple of months. Some of the liquid products are old and need throwing away but, a lot of her collection (powdered products) are still usable

LiddlePallid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LiddlePallid »

I hadn't watched for a long time and the first thing I noticed were her teeth. I would be absolutely horrified if I paid for friggin veneers and they turned out looking like that.

Her Mom recently passed away, that was the video that popped up on my feed.

Return to “P-T”