Has anyone else out grown MacBarbie?

stuipdthing
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Has anyone else out grown MacBarbie?

Post by stuipdthing »

I used to loveeeee her! She was one of the first youtubers I ever subscribed too. She was also one of the only "teenage" youtuber that was on youtube at the time.

I thought the way her videos were filmed was genius. It was like we were friends and we were just hanging out with her while she gave us tips.

But now I'm in my twenties and they're just not as interesting :( I feel like I'm aimlessly wandering around trying to find a youtuber I relate to haha. What about you guys?

I wonder how long she can keep up the I'm a teenager like you character. Isn't she going to be 20 soon?

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Has anyone else out grown MacBarbie?

Post by Username »

All her fans will eventually outgrow her, just like everything else that becomes popular solely off mass teen and pre-teen appeal. What's happening is you're aging out of her target demographic, while she continues to cater to her main audience of pre-teen girls.

We will see the downfall of her channel when she gets to an age where she's too old to be a teen idol. She's only 18, so she has a solid 5-6 years of popularity left.

AnnaMaria1
Learner
Learner

Post by AnnaMaria1 »

I've outgrown the whole beauty community side on youtube tbh! It's not like it was 'back in the day' feel so old saying that haha. Its rare to see someone doing it for the pure love of making videos/make up everyone just is jumping in the band wagan trying to make money/gain success like Bethany. At least Bethany is branching out slightly with her clothing line etc. If she releases a book though I swear to god. The amount of youtubers releasing books is ridiculous haha

idontknowwhoiam
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by idontknowwhoiam »

Tbh if you're in your twenties, you've always been too old to be in her target demographic.

Xtina333334
Talker
Talker

Post by Xtina333334 »

I am going to be 25 soon and I just tried watching one of her videos. The first thing I thought was, is this girl 15 years old? And then I found out she's like 19 or 20... she seems very immature and very pre-teen/juvenile. I guess she has to stay that way to appeal to her fans? I don't understand her appeal...maybe I would have gotten it when I was 14 but to me she just seems like a walking advertisement for companies like Aeropostale and whoever else she advertises for in her commercials, I mean, YouTube videos :)

thelastbagel
Informer
Informer

Post by thelastbagel »

I'm 25 and I watch her. There was a point when I really liked her clothes because she wore a lot of skater skirts and generally girly pieces, which is totally my style. I'm on the fence now, but I'm too proud of her I guess? I like supporting her since she's one of the least offensive YouTubers and is actually kind. I like to see those types of people succeed so I don't mind staying subscribed.

VlogLover
Debater
Debater

Post by VlogLover »

I'm 24 (25 in October), and I started watching her last year. At first I thought she was older too, just the way she presented herself and stuff, but she started getting kind of juvenile later on. Doesn't irritate me much though because she seems like she's having fun, and I agree, she's one of the more tolerable YouTubers to watch. Even though she doesn't upload as frequently as she did anymore, I do much prefer her videos to some YouTubers who do regularly post, just because the way her videos are shot and content is better. I don't really share her style anymore, since I entered grad school and dress a little more adult now, but it's still fun to watch her hauls and tutorials and stuff.

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Username »

I'm 25 as well and have been watching her since the birth of her channel. I only watch for the always excellent production quality plus she's one of the few beauty gurus left that don't do sponsored videos - despite the fact that she could charge at least 30k to mention a product. I skip the parts where she sits alone in the beginning of the video and talks like a 10 year old. MAJOR cringe. I don't watch her monthly Favorites videos for the sole reason that she purposely acts like a child for the entire 10 minutes. And don't get me started on the bloopers!

guru_lies
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by guru_lies »

I've been watching her videos for a few years, and actually enjoyed them at first. She just acts so young! I didn't even realize she was 18(?) she acts like a 15 year old. She seems very childish. I know some gurus act like that for attention/popularity, but I think she is genuinely childish. If anything she seemed more mature a few years back. I rally watch her videos now, she doesn't appeal to me.

ruby_x
Informer
Informer

Post by ruby_x »

There's no doubt that she's a creative and talented person, and I used to really like some of her style/fashion videos, but I haven't watched her channel in about a year now. I just don't get why she feels like need to act like a 12 year old! It's just so irritating, to anyone older than middle school age. Of course, she's already wildly successful, but I think if she acted more her age, her channel would have an even wider appeal, and she could attract even more (non-teenybopper) subscribers.

justguest
Learner
Learner

Post by justguest »

I'm also older than her and I'm still subscribed. I don't watch all her videos though because some just don't relate to me (such as hauls and monthly favorites). I do enjoy some DIYs and other I watch because they seem interesting. I do skip the bloopers though. I agree with a previous poster with feeling proud of her and wanting to support her. She does seem genuinely sweet and dedicated. Yeah, she acts like a 15-year-old but I can somewhat tolerate that from her than from a guru over 25. She still looks young so she will continue to act that way for as long as she can because that is her target audience.

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

I'm the same age as her (18) and even though I'm still subscribed to her I don't feel comfortable watching someone who is 18 and acts like is 12.. she acts normal in her old videos..

ILovePaulBanks21
Learner
Learner

Post by ILovePaulBanks21 »

Xtina333334 wrote:I am going to be 25 soon and I just tried watching one of her videos. The first thing I thought was, is this girl 15 years old? And then I found out she's like 19 or 20... she seems very immature and very pre-teen/juvenile. I guess she has to stay that way to appeal to her fans? I don't understand her appeal...maybe I would have gotten it when I was 14 but to me she just seems like a walking advertisement for companies like Aeropostale and whoever else she advertises for in her commercials, I mean, YouTube videos :)

If you think she's "immature" I welcome over to the Missglamorazzi thread and don't forget to check out her YT channel as well. She makes macbarbie07 look mature.
Image Image

HatsuneMiku
Talker
Talker

Post by HatsuneMiku »

AnnaMaria1 wrote:I've outgrown the whole beauty community side on youtube tbh! It's not like it was 'back in the day' feel so old saying that haha. Its rare to see someone doing it for the pure love of making videos/make up everyone just is jumping in the band wagan trying to make money/gain success like Bethany. At least Bethany is branching out slightly with her clothing line etc. If she releases a book though I swear to god. The amount of youtubers releasing books is ridiculous haha
YES! Every youtuber I see acts like they care so much but they're just looking for the views and $$$. Completely agree :(

Dalia
Informer
Informer

Post by Dalia »

I am 21 and I genuinely enjoy watching her, because her videos are different than others, don't know why but comparing to other youtubers her videos are always interesting and creative. But I always skip bloopers, stupid intros and generally videos where she talks a lot are boring, because she acts weird, I hate when youtubers do that, like be yourself :roll:
English is my 17th language.

catmeowkun
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by catmeowkun »

I think MacBarbie has outgrown MacBarbie tbh.

pink123
Lurker
Lurker

Post by pink123 »

catmeowkun wrote:I think MacBarbie has outgrown MacBarbie tbh.
Can't agree more with you. Funny things is some of audience are getting pissed, at DWTS and Derek (I know, LOL), for "changing" Bethany.

I've outgrown Macbarbie since maybe 2 years ago, I've stopped watching her (and the rest of beauty channel on YT). My interests just have been naturally shifted onto other things like the cooking channel.

But I started watching and following her updates again when she went on DWTS.

idontknowwhoiam
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by idontknowwhoiam »

catmeowkun wrote:I think MacBarbie has outgrown MacBarbie tbh.
I think this is exactly it, ahaha.

wickedknotty
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wickedknotty »

She did

Return to “Macbarbie07 / Bethany Mota”